Why become a member? ×

Definitions of venue size.

Marvin

So what is a small venue and so on? I only ask this dumb ass question because in terms of amps manufacturers or reviewers sometimes will state 'well it will cope adequately at small or medium sized venues'.

And does there need to be a 'huge' category?

small venue is a little pub (30-50 people); medium venue is a big pub, decent club with a dance floor or function room (50-200), big venue is a proper hall or theatre or big outdoor gig(200-2000). Huge is 2000+ and has WEMBLEY written above the door and you don't lug your own stuff!

I'd say a small venue is a room in a pub (including "normal" sized function rooms), a medium venue is a large dedicated room and a large venue is a dedicated building. As a rule of thumb.

But it varies. I'd say the room in the Old Angel is a small venue, but I'd say downstairs at Rock City (both Notts venues) is a medium venue, just because of where it is and the amount of people that go through, even though downstairs at Rock City is probably slightly smaller.

In terms of amp volume, if an amp can comfortably keep up with a drummer at full pelt, it'll be adequate for anywhere. If the whole drumkit's being mic'd up, the bass will surely be DI'd.

Though in terms of amplification needs, it's not that useful a way of looking at it. I've found that an amp which runs out of steam in a 150 capacity basement (with vocal PA only) is fine at a 1000 capacity club (with decent FOH and monitors). I'm not very rock though, so I've never gone for huge stage volumes.