Why become a member? ×

Hi from Northern Ireland

onenation

Hello All,

I'm new to the forum and pretty new to playing bass, so I apologise in advance for all the stupid questions.

I've been playing guitar for many years and have always fiddled around with the bass, I even had a brief spell of playing bass in a Classic Rock covers band! So I've a basic understanding of what I'm at, emphasis on basic!

I've now joined an established Death Metal band on bass, and am really enjoying the challenge. I have a Aria 5 string on loan, through an Ampeg amp (also on loan) untill I decide what rig to buy (I'm thinking Ashdown and Warwick) so if anyone who plays on the heavier side of Metal has any advice, it will be gratefully received.

All the best

A.

Hello, and welcome to the forum.

As always, the best thing you can do is get out in the world and try as many bass/amp combinations as you can, and find out what feels and sounds right for you.

When you have found what you want - you have the option of bying locally - supporting your local shop, which is a good thing, finding what you want on-line - probably paying less, but bear in mind that you may have to pay out for a decent set up, or you can look in the for sale section here, and hopefully find what you want there - again, saving money, but you will probably see a lower depreciation if you decide it is not for you and want to sell it on.

Edited for my lousy spelling

Edited by arsenic

Ah, another Metal bassist joins the ranks, welcome!
Try as many basses and amps as you can, what is labeled as "Metal" often doesn't work, and ends up just being a bass with some un-ergonomic shape to it (makes it metal? in a cheesy way maybe).

I use my Trace Elliot head and cab with a Yamaha TRB6II...Hardly a "Metal" bass, yet it works perfect for me.
Not a huge Death Metal fan, but I pretty much like anything in small doses, found an odd liking for The Berzerker recently...no clue why it's pretty much noise!

So, welcome! Were not all funk and Jazz dudes on here...I think...

Seems to be quite a Death Metal scene in N. Ireland...or at least so I gather from some guys I know on Warcraft.

Any chance your name is reference to Soulfly?

Edited by Kongo