Why become a member? ×

advice... will this warp my neck?

civictiger

hey there

I currently use Elites Medium Gauge strings...

however, in a new band I am in, Medium is fine, but not so great. So I have ordered a pair of Large (as the project is in Drop C).
I have a really nice bass that I am in love with, im only 19 so I dont have the money to replace it, lol.

my question is, since my neck is so used to the medium gauge, if it re-string it with the larger gauge (which is from 40 to 50) will it damage my neck due to the massive change in tension??
I would much rather get a refund with the strings if it will cause ANY damage, than take the risk.

thanks for any replies/support.

It shouldn't cause any damage, but you may need to adjust the truss rod to compensate for the altered string tension. A higher tension will tend to pull the headstock end forward and increase the bow in the neck a little. This is what the turss rod is actually there for - to compensate for this.

If you are lowering the tuning (to dropped C) then this will lower the tension a little as well so the ebnd result might not be as bad as you might expect.

You can't tell until you put the new strings on.

If you've been using 40s for standard tuning and are swapping to 50s and tuning down to C, you may actually find (depending on the brands of strings each type is) that you are now at a lower tension than before and the truss rod will need slackening off.

There's no way of knowing what a change in string gauge coupled with tuning will actually give until you try it out.

The usual rule of thumb is that the neck will bow more as you add thicker strings. Thinner strings will straighten the neck as they have less tension to them. Being as you're detuning, there may not be much of a difference. If you're in any doubt, take the bass to a local luthier to be re setup.

[quote name='Al Heeley' post='877501' date='Jun 25 2010, 03:59 PM']you may also need to check your nut slots cos fatter strings might not sit down so far in the grooves, and action could seem a bit higher.[/quote]

there's also a fair chance that if the slots are too narrow the extra thickness of a bigger string will break the nut (especially a plastic one)

I have a 2001 fender deluxe american so im sure the nut should be pretty decent hehe

and I was using medium gauge strings for both standard tuning and my drop C tuning.. just however sometimes, it might just help to give me a tighter sound by using 50's from 40's. thats the main idea behind it. if not i'll stick to my medium gauge, as i prefer lighter strings anyhows.

[quote name='andyjingram' post='878005' date='Jun 26 2010, 10:33 AM']If you're going to be tuning up and down, would .45's not be a happy medium?[/quote]

I put my 50-110's on today. it works so well for drop c tuning. the breakdowns are so much mor easier to play with tighter less flappy strings. feels like it fights back its all sorted! :)

45's would probably go down nice, though. im gonna see how i feel with these and then maybe experiment with 45's.

I've used many gauges over time on the same bass in many different tunings, it won't warp the neck, all you have to do is adjust the truss rod, ever so slightly but not by much.

On 4-string I currently use: 45 - 65 - 80 - 110 in standard tuning, so no, your neck will be more resiliant than u think. :)
It was designed to take it.

I just got an old Hamer Cruisebass (83), and it's strung B-E-A-D, 50-125: A single 125 B string and the lower 3 of a set of Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinkys. Light tweak to the truss rod- I mean very light- and it's like a new glove. The truss rod is a great invention!