Why become a member? ×

410 F/S that "needs a service"

fraff

Hello folks

Someone's offered me a S/H Ampeg B410HLF cab for the princely sum of £200. Which sounds a bargain obviously.

Downside is that the cab hasn't been used for a year and in the words of the seller "could probably do with a service before you gig it". Pictures of it show it in good shape cosmetically. Haven't seen or heard the thing yet but will do next week, so I wondered if anyone could offer any pointers on particular things to look out for, possible problems that the cab might have and maybe even a ballpark of how much related repairs might set me back?

All advice gratefully received!

Ian

[quote name='fraff' post='874632' date='Jun 22 2010, 05:45 PM']Hello folks

Someone's offered me a S/H Ampeg B410HLF cab for the princely sum of £200. Which sounds a bargain obviously.

Downside is that the cab hasn't been used for a year and in the words of the seller "could probably do with a service before you gig it". Pictures of it show it in good shape cosmetically. Haven't seen or heard the thing yet but will do next week, so I wondered if anyone could offer any pointers on particular things to look out for, possible problems that the cab might have and maybe even a ballpark of how much related repairs might set me back?

All advice gratefully received!

Ian[/quote]

not quite sure what you mean "needs a service".
It's a speaker cab so it either works or it doesn't.
I would plug it in and if it doesn't rattle or crackle and the speakers aren't blown then it's good to go.

+1 to the above.
The only servicing a speaker cabinet would go through would be driver replacement or wiring/soldering check.
It could also be recovered I suppose, but thats more a cosmetic thing.

Things to look out for would be rattles, squeaks, flabby sounding speakers etc.
Make sure to really listen to it and don´t be afraid of pushing it a bit, as sometimes one blown or stressed speaker can be masked by the other three at low volumes.
If all is in pwo, then for 200 quid, you have got a bargain. :)
These are great cabs for little money and sound great with most amp configs.
I had one of these and I did really like it, just preffered the US made BSE410hlf´s so bought a second one.

edit-spelling

Edited by basshead56

If it has just been unused for a long time in a good clean and dry enviroment, then it should be ok...

I'd be wary of the 'service' hint...as this implies it might need looking at.

It either works or it doesn't but speakers and a damp room aren't a good mix.
If the cosmetic look of the cab is clean, then that is a good sign.

With damp, the cones might be affected and maybe the coil might not travel well..but you would hear this.
I would be thinking I'd have the back off the cab to have a look... gently test the travel of the cones..and maybe look at the cable terminals at both the speaker end and jack input ends. You are looking fior signing of corrosion.
I would then power it up but not put too much volume though it at first.

Use his amp to test it first...