Why become a member? ×

Knob problem

niceguyhomer

I've just put the old pots back into my Lakland DJ and bugger me I can't get the control knobs back on - even using quite a bit of force. Is it possible they've shrivelled up with age or do you think it's possible they're the wrong knobs. The Gallery fitted the J-Retro I just took out so I'd be surprised if they belong to another bass.

Is it time to get the Vaseline out or a hammer? Shall I warm 'em up a bit in the oven?

Edited by niceguyhomer

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='96371' date='Nov 29 2007, 09:54 PM']I've just put the old pots back into my Lakland DJ and bugger me I can't get the control knobs back on - even using quite a bit of force. Is it possible they've shrivelled up with age or do you think it's possible they're the wrong knobs. The Gallery fitted the J-Retro I just took out so I'd be surprised if they belong to another bass.

Is it time to get the Vaseline out or a hammer? Shall I warm 'em up a bit in the oven?[/quote]
Difficult problem - sounds like a WD40 or Vaseline job Homer I reckon...

Worried about this cut and paste though from your post:

[i]"..and bugger me..knobs.. using..force..shrivelled up with age..they're the wrong knobs..time to get the Vaseline out.."[/i]

I know you like your DJ4, but that's going a bit too far :)

No way I'm using this opportunity to make a cheap knob gag - it's beneath me!!!

Do you get new pots with a J retro? Might be that. I took the nasty placcy ones off my status and replaced them with black metal jobs which was a pain. I ended up shaving bits of plastic off the pot spindles to make them fit. Not a brill job as the grub screw pulls them a bit wonky when it's tightened.

You could try that and hope it doesn't go to cock.

Cock. Aaagggh bugger - I was so close to a knob gag free post!

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='96745' date='Nov 30 2007, 03:33 PM']They are solid shafts where my knobs go - not split ones :ph34r:.

Dave - you do get new pots with a J-retro and new double thingy stacking knobs. These are supposed to be the original knobs going back onto the original pots that the bass was manufactured with.[/quote]

J-Retro is complete with new metal stack-knobs. Somewhere I have a box with my pots and knobs. I'll dig it out and take some pix. Sounds very much like you do not have the original knobs.

[quote name='obbm' post='96764' date='Nov 30 2007, 03:59 PM']J-Retro is complete with new metal stack-knobs. Somewhere I have a box with my pots and knobs. I'll dig it out and take some pix. Sounds very much like you do not have the original knobs.[/quote]

I think what's happened is they've got mixed up with maybe Fender Jazz knobs or whatever when the J-Retro was fitted by The Gallery. I rang them today on the off-chance, they still had the originals in a box somewhere but apparently the person I need to speak to isn't in until Monday.

Won't be gigging with the DJ this weekend then :)