Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

preamp / DI pedal options?

holio.cornolio

I'm thinking about getting some form of di box for when the inevitable happens and my amp dies mid gig. I just want something that I can plug straight into the desk. currently our pa only handles vocals, but if all else failed I want to be able to go into the pa. I fancy going the pedal route as I don't like the idea of spending money on something that might never get used, and there's some nice preamp / distortion / dis out there like the sansamp one and the mar bass di+. but that got me wondering if I rely need an xlr out, or whether I could use something like the xotic bb preamp as a direct into the mixer. thoughts?

Don't let the name fool you, the BB Preamp is really just a tubescreamer overdrive tuned for bass with a 2-band EQ. Great pedal and I own one, you could record direct with it but it wouldn't be my first choice as an amp-simulating preamp since it can produce brittle highs that would sound better filtered out somehow. If you're going to the PA instead of an amp then you don't really need the XLR, but if you want to use an amp as well as the PA then you could do with 2 separate outputs. I'd check out some preamps / amp-sims with built in speaker sims to roll off the harsh highs you can get with distortion, such as the Sansamp Bass Driver DI or VT Bass, EBS Microbass and also the Line 6 stuff.

Edited by dannybuoy

My vote would the the Tone Hammer. I have only had it a few days but the pre side is great for waking up a passive bass and you can get some slight OD/Distortion and use as a DI.

A very nice piece of kit, IMV....but as it is Aguilar, we knew that anyway.

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='872185' date='Jun 19 2010, 09:31 PM']Don't let the name fool you, the BB Preamp is really just a tubescreamer overdrive tuned for bass with a 2-band EQ. Great pedal and I own one, you could record direct with it but it wouldn't be my first choice as an amp-simulating preamp since it can produce brittle highs that would sound better filtered out somehow. If you're going to the PA instead of an amp then you don't really need the XLR, but if you want to use an amp as well as the PA then you could do with 2 separate outputs. I'd check out some preamps / amp-sims with built in speaker sims to roll off the harsh highs you can get with distortion, such as the Sansamp Bass Driver DI or VT Bass, EBS Microbass and also the Line 6 stuff.[/quote]
That's kind of the point. I would never go through the PA unless my amp died, but at the moment I don't have anything which would serve as a signal source for the PA. Would something like the VT provide an appropriate signal in that instance then??

Yup, and it's probably your best bet I reckon. You don't really need the XLR out if you're going straight to the desk without an amp. The balanced output that a DI would provide would be useful however to reduce noise on long cable runs, but if you're standing next to your PA then a normal instrument cable will do just fine. You may even find that you like the sound of it so much that you have it always on even going into your regular amp! What bass and amp are you using out of interest?

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='872265' date='Jun 19 2010, 11:18 PM']Yup, and it's probably your best bet I reckon. You don't really need the XLR out if you're going straight to the desk without an amp. The balanced output that a DI would provide would be useful however to reduce noise on long cable runs, but if you're standing next to your PA then a normal instrument cable will do just fine. You may even find that you like the sound of it so much that you have it always on even going into your regular amp! What bass and amp are you using out of interest?[/quote]
it'sa ric 4001 and I've just got a trace gp12 smx 1x15 combo and 210 extension cab. I've fancied getting one of those vt things for a while. maybe this is the excuse I need.

[quote name='EskimoBassist' post='872796' date='Jun 20 2010, 05:36 PM']MXR M-80 FTW![/quote]
For a cheap option, that`ll get you through a gig, the Behringer BD121 is an option. Assuming that this is money you`re going to be spending, on something you hope you`ll never have to use, its £40ish, to stick in yr gig-bag. Whilst the Sansamp, MXR etc are better, they also cost a fair bit more too. A lot of cash for something you hopefully won`t need.

I went the Behringer option, figuring that the money I saved on the pedal would be the money I would put towards fixing my amp, should the worst happen. It is sound-wise, however very "tubey" - which suits me fine - may not suit all though.

cheers for the sterling advice all. I've just dropped the cash for a dha di/eq which he's going to add a footswitch to. not the cheapest,certainly not the most expensive, a fair price for a bespoke (ish) piece of kit, made in the uk by a real person. I'll let y'all know how I get on.
incidentally I spotted an aguilar tone hammer on ebay going for 140. as far as I know it's still on there, and seems like a steal. I'm sticking to brit built for now though.