Why become a member? ×

How easy is it to convert a US amp from 120V to 240V?

molan

I recently spotted an amp in the USA that I quite fancied but was put off by the thought of running a separate external voltage converter.

However I recently bought a new amp that has had an internal conversion carried out & this made me think about whether this was an easy job for a pro amp tech or whether it would cost a lot of money and/or maybe unreliable for a gigging amp?

It really depends on the amp. Some amps it's as easy as flicking a switch, some need to have a couple connections changed, some adapt automatically, and some need an new power transformer. What is the amp?

If it can be done, there's no reason to think it would be less reliable. Nowadays, basically any amp that you buy in the UK is identical to those released in north america and japan, manufacturer's don't change their designs -- the only difference is the voltage switch has been done at the factory.

[quote name='escholl' post='872080' date='Jun 19 2010, 08:01 PM']It really depends on the amp. Some amps it's as easy as flicking a switch, some need to have a couple connections changed, some adapt automatically, and some need an new power transformer. What is the amp?

If it can be done, there's no reason to think it would be less reliable. Nowadays, basically any amp that you buy in the UK is identical to those released in north america and japan, manufacturer's don't change their designs -- the only difference is the voltage switch has been done at the factory.[/quote]

The one I saw was an SWR SM500 - the thing that made me think it was not too hard was that I've just bought another SWR which has been adapted & it works just fine :)

[quote name='molan' post='872108' date='Jun 19 2010, 08:25 PM']The one I saw was an SWR SM500 - the thing that made me think it was not too hard was that I've just bought another SWR which has been adapted & it works just fine :)[/quote]

I don't know much about this amp I'm afraid, but there appears to be no voltage selection switch on the back so it's going to be a case of either rewiring something inside or having a new power transformer fitted, depending on how the amp has been designed. Either way it should be easy to convert, it just depends on how much you want to spend -- if you need one, a new power transformer is not going to be insanely expensive, but it won't be stupidly cheap either.

If it's just a matter of rewiring something though, it should be a quick and easy job for any decent tech.

Edited by escholl

[quote name='JTUK' post='872146' date='Jun 19 2010, 08:50 PM']hmmmm..thinking about the SM900 as well...

apart from the convert..what do you think the things will cost to import?
I can see me having to go to the U.S to get what I am looking for....[/quote]

Have a quick look around on TalkBass & see if there are any up for sale :)

I'm a veteran of buying basses from the US so happy to help on payment, shipping, import duties etc. :rolleyes:

[quote name='molan' post='872199' date='Jun 19 2010, 09:47 PM']Have a quick look around on TalkBass & see if there are any up for sale :)

I'm a veteran of buying basses from the US so happy to help on payment, shipping, import duties etc. :rolleyes:[/quote]

I'll PM you,