Why become a member? ×

What the hells a Starcaster?

El Bajo

Check out this J bass by Fender. obvioulsy a budget bass but I thought Squier was their budger line! Click on the pick to move around and zoom in.

[url="http://www.littlewoods.com/jazz-bass-guitar/598255356.prd;jsessionid=B837A2DF3B160F748E4EF376FA8EE37D.fts014:-1?browseToken=%2fb%2f4803%2fs%2fbestsellers%2c0&prdToken=/p/prod1590287-sku2420552"]http://www.littlewoods.com/jazz-bass-guita...0287-sku2420552[/url]

£219? Bargain

The old Starcaster from the late 70s was a great looking guitar - I've always wanted one. I was a big Radiohead fan in my teens and Jonny Greenwood plays one on occasion, you see:

The new ones are a budget line that bears no relation afaik.

[quote name='Wil' post='870942' date='Jun 18 2010, 05:17 PM']The old Starcaster from the late 70s was a great looking guitar - I've always wanted one. I was a big Radiohead fan in my teens and Jonny Greenwood plays one on occasion, you see:

The new ones are a budget line that bears no relation afaik.[/quote]
Dave Keurcher of the Killers is also famous for playing one and there are petitions online for Fender to introduce a Classic version.

[quote name='crez5150' post='870938' date='Jun 18 2010, 05:14 PM']Probably a name they come up with so they can sell product through a catalogue company without upsetting mi retailers.[/quote]
...or Squires are becoming too good?

[quote name='BassBus' post='872034' date='Jun 19 2010, 07:23 PM']...or Squires are becoming too good?[/quote]
I think you could be right. I've seen these Starcasters in several retailers including Argos (I Argosed it :rolleyes: ). I believe they are genuinely endorsed by Fender :)

[quote name='BassBus' post='872034' date='Jun 19 2010, 07:23 PM']...or Squires are becoming too good?[/quote]

+1

Starcaster is the kind you get from Argos etc when u get these "budget starter sets".
We've all noticed it for a while but it's now apparent, Squier's are getting too good. :)
My P-bass started as an Affinity, and even then it played awesome. IN fact, until I get it's neck sorted (Maple fingerboard version I bought), the old neck has gone back on...smooth as you like!
Just change the pups and it's good enough, never mind the rest I did.

Edited by Kongo

[quote name='Johnston' post='872410' date='Jun 20 2010, 09:25 AM']I remember back in the day the catalogues had Encores and Squiers.

Now it's encores and starcasters, which look like affinities and the squiers are starting to get rated.

Are Fender trying to get a brand name in for cheap stuff and try and get squier away from the cheap moniker into a more budget-mid range role.[/quote]

I'd recon so, as Squier has a better name these days, and as the build quality is gettin better, why not make it a middle of the road, almost MiM Fender?
Good business, and great for muso's who want a Fender (in build if not name) without the price tag.
And with money tight as it is these days, what better time to do it?

Starcaster tho, unlike Squier, DOES look naff in logo.
I'm happy with my 3 Squier's I have tho, always have been. :)

[quote name='Kongo' post='873093' date='Jun 20 2010, 10:48 PM']I'd recon so, as Squier has a better name these days, and as the build quality is gettin better, why not make it a middle of the road, almost MiM Fender?[/quote]

Almost MIM Fender? Having played some of the higher end Squiers, VM, CV, and even some of the standard series, I'd say that a hell of a lot of the MIM Fenders are almost a Squier. I know which I'd rather buy without playing.