Why become a member? ×

Can of worms

lee4

[quote name='6stringbassist' post='97849' date='Dec 2 2007, 10:58 PM']So Dave Grossman is going to play Bach sonata in G minor, what's wrong with that, you don't want to hear it then fair enough, stay home and listen to Dr feelgood, but don't make fun of the bloke, he wants to play it, and there will be people there to watch him and appreciate what he's doing.[/quote]

I have to admit to being a bit partial to the Prelude to the Back cello suites myself. I just wish I could play it better!

For me - well I'm a groove guy and I think Bach grooves with the best of em! I've also thoroughly enjoyed Dr Feelgood when I've been on the same bill as them. (And also thoroughly enjoyed the Pigeon Detectives a couple of weeks ago at the London Forum.

It's all music.

Some of it we may like and some of it we may not.

David

I think people should get out gigging rather than masturbating on You Tube but then its their life. At least it gets bedroom players an audience if only a small one. I think one guy got a good gig after someone saw him on the tube but you cant tell whether these people actually have the ability to play with other people - its just as much a skill as good technique. You also cant tell if they have the social skills to be with other people but thats something else :)

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='98389' date='Dec 3 2007, 08:10 PM']You also cant tell if they have the social skills to be with other people but thats something else :)[/quote]

:huh: :huh: :huh:

That's one of the the toughest parts of being in a Band...

Not the music as much as the interpersonal skills needed :huh:

[quote name='Funkmaster' post='98041' date='Dec 3 2007, 12:03 PM']I have to admit to being a bit partial to the Prelude to the Back cello suites myself. I just wish I could play it better!

For me - well I'm a groove guy and I think Bach grooves with the best of em![/quote]

I tried learning that when I'd just started playing and although the results were far from perfect, people have told me it sounds cool and it certainly did me no end of good in improving my technique... okaeey, so I'd never play it in a band context or release it as a single, but it's cool enough to play for anyone who's interested to hear it - there's a place for everything, really!

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='98019' date='Dec 3 2007, 11:39 AM']Tell them to 'f*** off' and get a life..... :)[/quote]

Boo! If they want to shred and can pay the teacher and ask to be taught that then why shouldn't the teacher help them to shred? It's not for you, but it's what they want. They'd probably say the same thing about someone who went to a teacher and said 'Teach me to play jazz.'

Also, the majority of students go into any kind of course not knowing exactly what they really want to learn, or wanting to learn something that in the end they realise isn't for them. A good teacher nurtures and broadens horizons. Or, y'know, swears at them to f*** off.

This whole 'tolerating other's musical tastes and desires' is a two-way-street, you know...

Its not fun teaching people who want to learn stuff that is of little or no pertinence in terms of their development as a player - 'teach me to shred' would not indicate an inch of genuine commitment to anything remotely musical and I would run a mile. I could work with 'I want ot play the guitar/bass', 'Teach me the scales Malmsteen uses' or 'Teach me the chords to 'Sweet Child Of Mine'. But 'teach me to shred'? Give me a break!

That's no doubt true. But a lot of teachers don't have the wherewithall to refuse paying customers, and if the customer want to give you money to teach them something specific, then you should probably try to teach them that (even if it is of little or no pertinence in terms of their development as a player). And either way, swearing at the little mites is probably not the best way to broaden their minds.

[quote name='Cantdosleepy' post='98821' date='Dec 4 2007, 01:59 PM']And either way, swearing at the little mites is probably not the best way to broaden their minds.[/quote]
Quite, it's far more effective to take one ear in each hand and pull outwards.

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='98808' date='Dec 4 2007, 01:39 PM']Its not fun teaching people who want to learn stuff that is of little or no pertinence in terms of their development as a player - 'teach me to shred' would not indicate an inch of genuine commitment to anything remotely musical and I would run a mile. I could work with 'I want ot play the guitar/bass', 'Teach me the scales Malmsteen uses' or 'Teach me the chords to 'Sweet Child Of Mine'. But 'teach me to shred'? Give me a break![/quote]

I would totally agree here... a tutor needing the money doesn't justify teaching badly...