Why become a member? ×

How do

Anvil

Hello all from another newbie.

Tried learning guitar, but found my fingers were too fat, and a mate suggested bass.

I know 2 riffs, and can play U2 - With or Without You (simple I know, but I freaked when I managed it).

Any way, hello :)

Been doing bass less than a day.

Likes: SLF, Green Day, Nirvana, The Police, The Jam, UK Subs, The Hives, Die Aerzte, Rammstein, Metallica et al.

Edited by Anvil

Welcome to the forum :)

It's a good feeling when you get something right. Multiply that by 1000 when you're getting it right when playing with other musicians. Multiply that by a further 1000 when you're getting it right when playing with other musicians on stage in front of an audience.

hello, and welcome to the forum.

I used to know a guy who had the same issue with his hands - he was affectionately known as "Edward Sausage Fingers", (no offence meant), but he spent ages trying to find a bass with a wide enough neck and string spacong to allow him to get the best out of it.

Thanks for the welcome. I tried with the guitar, but just found I was all fingers and thumbs. I did a few exercises last night, and got a couple of riffs done. Then I did the U2 song, and (although it is quite simple) I could do it :)

Now searching through YooChoob for other cool bass-y songs.

Any ideas of good (easy) newbie songs to learn - I do prefer rock, but will try anything to learn.

Ta.

[quote name='Anvil' post='869816' date='Jun 17 2010, 12:15 PM']Thanks for the welcome. I tried with the guitar, but just found I was all fingers and thumbs. I did a few exercises last night, and got a couple of riffs done. Then I did the U2 song, and (although it is quite simple) I could do it :)

Now searching through YooChoob for other cool bass-y songs.

[b]Any ideas of good (easy) newbie songs to learn - I do prefer rock, but will try anything to learn.[/b]

Ta.[/quote]

Welcome aboard.

Seek out possibly [i]the[/i] master of understated bass playing - Cliff Williams of AC/DC. Most of their stuff is pretty straightforward with the occasional curveball thrown in when you least expect it. (Word of warning though, the Bon Scott era stuff is often de-tuned a semitone)

In my opinion, the Quo are worth a look too. Coghlan/Lancaster were a cracking rhythm section:

Both examples of good solid driving playing - nothing flash or fancy.

& then there's Rory Gallagher's sidekick, Gerry McAvoy:

Have fun with it, that's the key.

Pete.

[quote name='Bloodaxe' post='870433' date='Jun 18 2010, 02:26 AM']Welcome aboard.

Seek out possibly [i]the[/i] master of understated bass playing - Cliff Williams of AC/DC. Most of their stuff is pretty straightforward with the occasional curveball thrown in when you least expect it. (Word of warning though, the Bon Scott era stuff is often de-tuned a semitone)

In my opinion, the Quo are worth a look too. Coghlan/Lancaster were a cracking rhythm section:

Both examples of good solid driving playing - nothing flash or fancy.

& then there's Rory Gallagher's sidekick, Gerry McAvoy:

Have fun with it, that's the key.

Pete.[/quote]

Welcome to Basschat - looking at your list of bands that you like, I think yr gonna really enjoy the bass.