Why become a member? ×

Not Currently Available

geoffbassist

I'm afraid my work over the next few months is looking really hectic and I'm not able to accept any new students. I will update the page when I'm back teaching in a few months or so.

Geoff Chalmers Professional Bass Guitar and Double Bass Tutor now available in Leeds.

My background:

I teach (and play) both bass guitar and double bass professionally.

I completed my undergraduate music degree at Leeds College of Music in 2004, where I studied bass guitar with Zoltan Dekany specializing in jazz. Following my jazz studies, in 2008 I accepted an RNCM scholarship and took up a place at the Royal Northern College of Music to study classical double bass with Roberto Carrillo-Garcia, section principal with the Halle Orchestra.
Whilst studying at the RNCM I was supported by the Martin Edwards Jazz bursary and the Rega Heesom Award.

I have worked as a full time professional freelance bassist since 2004. In that time I have played in numerous theatre shows, pop function bands, jazz ensembles, Latin music groups, recording sessions etc. I have worked throughout the UK and also worked abroad.

I also enjoy teaching and am bass tutor on the degree and masters course at Hull University. I have also taught in schools since 2003 and have experience in teaching beginner-advanced students in all styles of music. Although I feel that I specialize in jazz bass I am happy to teach whatever style of music students want to learn. In addition I cover all techniques.

I am CRB checked and available to teach at my home in Kirkstall Leeds
I also have a bass lessons section on my website. [url="http://www.geoffchalmers.com/basslessonsinleeds"]http://www.geoffchal...slessonsinleeds[/url]
For any other information please PM me and I will give you details of fees and availability.

Thanks Geoff

Edited by geoffbassist

I had the pleasure of being a student of Geoff back in '03 through '07 (I believe, it's been a while!)

The level of expertise and guidance that I received was brilliant and I honestly believe it was because of Geoff's outstanding musical knowledge in both classical theory and jazz/pop and his natural ability to teach that I progressed exponentially faster than I would have with another tutor or through self learning. Moreover, he opened my eyes to all kinds of playing and how I can incorporate them as a bass player.

In a relatively short amount of time I was taught the basics of bass playing, musical theory, improvisation and advanced bass techniques.

He's truly an outstanding tutor and player in all levels as I experienced all the way from beginner up - he knows his stuff and he certainly knows how to teach it.

An absolutely great guy, tutor and bass player; due to personal dedications of mine I had to leave the area, but given the chance in the future, there is no doubt in my mind that I would go back to him for further tuition. I would not recommend anyone else as highly as Geoff - either for bass guitar, double bass tuition or BOTH!

Thanks, Geoff!

I had lessons with Geoff between September 2008 and January 2009. I first met Geoff at Scarborough Jazz Club in the summer of 2008, he was playing with he Julia Wray Quartet and I was playing in a Jazz/Funk band who opened the gig. Speaking to Geoff I quickly realised how much of a nice guy he is and as soon as I saw him play I was blown away. He played the first half of the gig on double bass and the second on a 5 string electric and was superb on both instruments. After the gig we chatted more and I asked about the possibility of getting some lessons and Geoff immediately pointed out things that we could work on from watching me play earlier in the night.

At the time I was living in Scarborough and Geoff in Leeds (140 mile round trip, which once took me almost 5 hours in the snow!) so I would drive to him every other week for an hour and a half lesson (1 hour electric bass and 30 minutes double bass). I really enjoyed the lessons and they were a lot of fun, there was no shortage of Yorkshire Tea and Geoff certainly wasn't clock watching, Geoff would make sure I got the most out of our time together and lessons would often run over if abit of extra time was needed to ensure we covered what we needed to and I understood what I had to practice before the next lesson.

When learning with Geoff I felt seriously motivated to practice and work on my playing. The lessons were tailored to what I felt I wanted to work on and Geoff would also have his expert input on this. I was especially interested playing jazz (walking and soloing as well as jazz harmony), sight reading, improving my left and right hand technique and general musicianship. I also wanted to take up double bass and try and get myself to basic standard. In the short period of time I got lesson from Geoff I seen massive improvements in my playing and I don't feel that it would have been possible without Geoff's expert guidance.

Sadly I had to stop lessons with Geoff when he moved from Leeds to Manchester but if I was ever within a commutable distance from him in future I'd certainly be in touch for more lessons. I would wholeheartedly recommend Geoff to anyone wanting to take their bass playing to the next step. I have had some bass lessons since moving back to Teesside and although they were with really great players I didn't feel that their ability to teach was as high, certainly not when compared to what I was used to with Geoff.

Good luck with your new lessons Geoff.

Kev

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

[quote name='2wheeler' post='896980' date='Jul 16 2010, 11:24 PM']I agree completely with what the others wrote. I just want to emphasis what an inspirational teacher Geoff is. He will get the most out of you and then a bit more than you expected :)[/quote]

Thanks for the review Nick. Hope lifes going well.
I still havnt been to the Phoenix jam yet but will let you when I'm next down. :-)

• 1 month later...

Can i just add that i think Geoff is one of the most talented bass players around, and his infectious enthusiasm coupled with rock solid technique and musical understanding make him the ideal choice if you are looking for a teacher. He is also one of the nicest guys you could possibly hope to meet.

The Major

[quote name='stevie' post='980892' date='Oct 7 2010, 07:55 PM']That's an endorsement and a half, I have to say. Makes me wish I was back in Granadaland again - well almost.[/quote]

The Major and myself had a bass guitar jam yesterday and I'm really grateful for his kind words. Of course he's an amazing jazz bass guitar and double bassist, as well as a pro orchestra player! I've never met another bassist who plays pro jazz/popular music with a pro orchestra job. If I had to attempt to play in a pro orchestra I would not get called back! :-)

It's great to hear good reviews but especially from more experienced professionals like The Major :-)

• 5 months later...

Hi Geoff

I am an intermediate level double bassist with poor musical knowledge. Would like help with scales etc to break away from single octave playing (!)

I am in a country band at present which is lots of fun....but am in a rut (root 3rd and 5ths !).

Could you let me know if you could help and also your fees.

Cheers

David

[email protected]
07973 205674
01695 50517

• 6 months later...

Hi Guys,
I'm currently living in Kirkstall Leeds and am available again for private lessons. I was living in Manchester and more recently York, but am now permanently based in Leeds.

Please PM me for availability, fees or any other questions you have.

cheers Geoff
http://www.geoffchalmers.com/basslessonsinleeds

Edited by geoffbassist

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi Guys,
I've been really busy recently with the Christmas gig run. January is a quiet time so if you want to come and have a bass guitar or double bass lesson please get in touch.
Why not get some new ways to approach your playing for the new year.
Geoff
http:www.geoffchalmers.com/basslessonsinleeds

Edited by geoffbassist

• 5 months later...

Here's a nice review of my lessons from Leeds bassist John J Williamson. Hes a fantastic player and has a lot of great things happening in his playing.

http://johnjosephwilliamson.com/2012/06/08/lesson-with-geoff-chalmers/

Edited by geoffbassist

Here's a +1 to Geoff's reputation as a teacher.
Very highly recommended.
Knows his theory, takes you through your weak points step by step (eg, my technique) sterling player and most importantly a great guy.
You're missing out by not having lessons from him right now!

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,
I've just created a facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/BassLessonsInLeeds
If you are on Facebook and want to know more about my lessons please like the page. I'm planning on keeping students up to date with my lesson information and sharing bass related information.
thanks Geoff