Why become a member? ×

What strings do you use on a five string 35" scale bass????

voxpop

[quote name='benzies123' post='872658' date='Jun 20 2010, 03:23 PM']This is where I buy mine - not exactly in the depths of cyberspace :)

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/D'Addario-EXL170-6-Regular-Light-6-String-Bass-32-130_W0QQitemZ320523765612QQcmdZViewItem?rvr_id=&rvr_id=&cguid=cfc3d77d1250a0aad24091b0fa47e4ac"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/D'Addario-EXL170...24091b0fa47e4ac[/url]

These aren't extra long though... I don't think this is a problem however as these strings go fine on my 35" scale TRB and I'm assuming your TRB isn't a freak of nature 37" jobby? I have found them for around £26 incl. postage here [url="http://www.soundsliveshop.com/p/D'Addario_EXL165-6_Bass_Strings/DADD-EXL165-6"]http://www.soundsliveshop.com/p/D'Adda...s/DADD-EXL165-6[/url] in case those ebay ones ever go out of stock for a while.

Hope that helps

P.S I can't agree with you more about Rotosound, all my heroes (apart from John Patitucci [D'addario]) play them but I just hate them![/quote]

Nope, Standard '98 TBR6-II, 35" scale length.
I hadn't tried standard length on this bass yet tho, from ur exp, sounds like they fit.
For some reason I always forget about Ebay...

Edited by Kongo

[quote name='Kongo' post='873083' date='Jun 20 2010, 10:40 PM']Nope, Standard '98 TBR6-II, 35" scale length.
I hadn't tried standard length on this bass yet tho, from ur exp, sounds like they fit.
For some reason I always forget about Ebay...[/quote]

It's odd. Over the last year or so I have owned almost exactly the same gear as you. AH300-12 and a trace 4x10 along with the old Yamaha TRB around the same age (except mine is freltess and 5 string as you have probably noticed)... just thought I would point that out.

Back to relevance - those indeed are the strings on my yamaha 35" now, so all should be well!

[quote name='voxpop' post='869421' date='Jun 16 2010, 08:41 PM']Will the' Long scale' sets fit a 35" neck???

They seen to be very cheap compared to the other more 'well known' brands.[/quote]
Yup, the normal sets work on 35", certainly with bridge stringing. A chap I know who has a 36" Overwater had to get the Extra Long Scale.
I just put the Picato black nylon tapewounds on one of mine on Sat before the gig.. I'll be leaving those on there for a while, methinks!

[quote name='Monz' post='870521' date='Jun 18 2010, 09:37 AM']Unless I am mistaken you might find a lot of similarities between Picato and Overwater strings... In fact I might go as far as to suggest you may struggle to find any differences :)[/quote]
:rolleyes:

[quote name='benzies123' post='873120' date='Jun 20 2010, 11:16 PM']It's odd. Over the last year or so I have owned almost exactly the same gear as you. AH300-12 and a trace 4x10 along with the old Yamaha TRB around the same age (except mine is freltess and 5 string as you have probably noticed)... just thought I would point that out.

Back to relevance - those indeed are the strings on my yamaha 35" now, so all should be well![/quote]

Can't fault you for it :) (Hide's the Ibanez as things are gettin scary)...eheh...eheheh...uhm...
Ty for the advice anyways, guess I got stuck into knowing where my strings are always stocked (and the fact that they know me by voice should I call) that I forgot to do what I did in the first place; search for cheaper car insur...er bass strings! :rolleyes:
This sure opens up gauge options (6-string super long come in one gauge for some reason...) and I can always pick and mix i.e. 4-string set with high-C and low-B to my tastes.

Edited by Kongo

[quote name='Kongo' post='874049' date='Jun 22 2010, 12:02 AM']Can't fault you for it :) (Hide's the Ibanez as things are gettin scary)...eheh...eheheh...uhm...
Ty for the advice anyways, guess I got stuck into knowing where my strings are always stocked (and the fact that they know me by voice should I call) that I forgot to do what I did in the first place; search for cheaper car insur...er bass strings! :rolleyes:
This sure opens up gauge options (6-string super long come in one gauge for some reason...) and I can always pick and mix i.e. 4-string set with high-C and low-B to my tastes.[/quote]

That's what I do with my 5 string as I string it with a high C and it works for me. Enjoy your £10 off!

So far there has been tons of advice, with lots of differing opinions. This is what I like about Basschat......everyone has had their say.

I picked up a very cheap set of Regular Slinky 5 string nickel 45-130 from the bay. Will give these ago before trying either the Overwater or DR Hi Beams.

I use elixers, 45 to 130. Good firm tension and semi bright tone that lasts ages. I've also used DR High Beams which are great but have far lower tension relative to the gauge you use. I tend to prefer the Elixers simply because they need changing less often.

I reckon Hi Beams would suit your style very well.

Edited by Wil