Why become a member? ×

Free Score Editor

lowdown

If anyone is looking for a free score editor - Musescore is worth a shot.
Its pretty good, the site also has free set up tutorials.
It comes with playback sounds [ just GM sounds - but none the less useful for hearing your results]

The site has been up and down a little today, but keep trying its only intermittent.

[url="http://musescore.org/en"]http://musescore.org/en[/url]

Garry

Edited by lowdown

Hi Garry,

Thanks for this post about MuseScore.
I need a simple, easy to use Score Writer.
I've tried loads, but find I can do it quicker with MS paper, 2B pencil and eraser.
AFAIK all windows versions come with a simple Text program called NotePad.
I've often wished there was an equally simple one called..erm...MusicPad.

When I'm working, I'm sometimes not sure I got the Rhythm right, and it would be so good just to quickly notate it and post here,
so that others could give their opinions.
It would save me a lot of time.

Anyone any ideas?
'Suppose we could write one and All become millionaires?
Hmm....How good is that!!!

V.

To Be honest i use Finale [ and have for a few years]
But i was tinkering with this today, and it is pretty easy to use.
So for anyone wanting to get into the bigger named notaters this is a great start..
Because its free... :)
The online vids are a good pointer to.

Garry

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='lowdown' post='864520' date='Jun 11 2010, 05:48 PM']If anyone is looking for a free score editor - Musescore is worth a shot.
It comes with playback sounds [ just GM sounds - but none the less useful for hearing your results]

The site has been up and down a little today, but keep trying its only intermittent.

[url="http://musescore.org/en"]http://musescore.org/en[/url]

Garry[/quote]

I've been using Musescore for a while and really like it. It's native to Linux and seems to work best there. I also use it on OSX which works fine but getting the instrument sounds to work is a bit of a hassle.

For simply entering notation I find it easier to use than Finale. It lacks a lot of the fancy features but if all you want to do is to rattle in a page or two of score then it's great - especially for free.

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='868771' date='Jun 16 2010, 09:42 AM']For simply entering notation I find it easier to use than Finale.[/quote]

Funny how we all work differently..i find Final 2010 really easy.
Number pad and mouse, and i am off.... :)

[quote name='lowdown' post='868781' date='Jun 16 2010, 09:57 AM']Funny how we all work differently..i find Final 2010 really easy.
Number pad and mouse, and i am off.... :)[/quote]

To be fair, I haven't tried 2010. The thing that I always have trouble with it making corrections. Finale seems to always guess what you meant and gets it completely wrong. Probably user error though.

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='868783' date='Jun 16 2010, 09:59 AM']To be fair, I haven't tried 2010. The thing that I always have trouble with it making corrections. Finale seems to always guess what you meant and gets it completely wrong. Probably user error though.[/quote]

Perhaps you might be using an older version.
On Finale 2010 just press on note to be corrected and press delete,
or using up and down arrows changes noted by semitones.

Garry

[quote name='lowdown' post='864520' date='Jun 11 2010, 05:48 PM']If anyone is looking for a free score editor - Musescore is worth a shot.
It comes with playback sounds [ just GM sounds - but none the less useful for hearing your results][/quote]

Thanks for posting, I'll definitely check it out.

[quote name='fatback' post='868800' date='Jun 16 2010, 10:19 AM']Any suggestions about which is the best soft for doing chord charts with just the occasional sections notated?

Will this one do it?[/quote]

Don't think so. You can put chords over the bars but the version I have (0.9.5) has a bug that screws them up when you copy and paste sections. Grrr

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Sean' post='905140' date='Jul 25 2010, 07:50 PM']Does anyone know how to represent dead (percussive notes) on Muse Score?[/quote]

Select some notes. Right click. Select Properties. You can now change the "Note Head" to whatever symbol you require (a cross probably).

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='905251' date='Jul 25 2010, 09:37 PM']Select some notes. Right click. Select Properties. You can now change the "Note Head" to whatever symbol you require (a cross probably).[/quote]

Thanks, I've been transcibing Don't Fear the Reaper - it's much better now.

I use NoteFlight.

www.noteflight.com

Also use Sibelius, but as Note flight is web-based it is often available to me in situations where I don't have my 'big' computer around.

It's great to be able to share scores with other people easily (on-line).