Why become a member? ×

2x12 + 2x10 (or) Another 2x12

DaveMuadDib

So, thanks to all of your advices, I went and got my hands on a TC Electronic RS212 cab. And luckily, it's absolutely awesome. The question now is where do I go from here? My instinct so far says go for the RS210. My bestest bassplaying buddy is strongly of the opinion, and I've been told the same by people on here. Before I go spending more money I haven't got and taking the plunge, does anyone have any compelling evidence as to why I should go for another 2x12 instead? Or is a 2x10 a no brainer for vertical stacking punchy bliss?

Would appreciate your opinions :)

theoretically and from a technical standpoint, two identical cabs will work better together than two non-identical cabs. that is to say, 2 2x12's will work better together and provide a more even response than a 2x12 and a 2x10.

coupled with the fact that you already like the sound of the 2x12, there is really no reason I can think of for getting the 2x10. but i'm sure either one would probably be fine.

not to be devil's advocate.. the 2x10 would be more punchy.. so if you wanted a bit more punch then try the 2x10. not quite the same at the 2x10, 1x15, but it would sound different. Also I've found that 2 2x10 sound quite different than a 2x10 and I don't mean just louder.

Just a thought.. try both

I'm lucky to have the option to try both these options, and believe me it works either way.

As the 210 would be close to your ear you would be getting the sweeter punchy high end near your ear, then the warm low and mids coupled to the floor.

TC designed them so they can be mixed and matched.

If 'phasing' was a serious issue, then all the manufacturers who insist on it would be making a lot more money.

I can see why people prefer not to mix speaker sizes, but it really doesnt make that much difference in the real world.

Basically, try if you can. If you like it, you like it. :)

Edited by Musicman20

It's a tricky one - my instinct says get the 2x10 for exactly that reason - warm down below, punch on the top. And of course, there's the added benefit would that it would give me two different types of cab, which opens up a whole world of options and portability. But my logic is saying that I like the 2x12, so get another one. It's tricky, and I don't really have the luxury of experimenting! I'll have to have a good think. Besides, my old peavey 4x10 is still working, so I've got that for now if I need anything more than the 2x12!

Anyone know where I could try out these cabs in a real environment on no money? :)

[quote name='Musicman20' post='861438' date='Jun 8 2010, 08:37 PM']I'm lucky to have the option to try both these options, and believe me it works either way.

As the 210 would be close to your ear you would be getting the sweeter punchy high end near your ear, then the warm low and mids coupled to the floor.

TC designed them so they can be mixed and matched.

If 'phasing' was a serious issue, then all the manufacturers who insist on it would be making a lot more money.

I can see why people prefer not to mix speaker sizes, but it really doesnt make that much difference in the real world.

Basically, try if you can. If you like it, you like it. :rolleyes:[/quote]