Why become a member? ×

Anyone tried the SWR Headlite yet?

sunfish

Hey, has anyone tried or bought the new SWR Headlite yet. They seem difficult to see in the flesh.

I liked the sound of the old SWR 350X. Sort of fat dark tone. So I'm hoping I can get it with the Headlite. I had a Markbass LMII which I quite liked but not as good as the old SWR. I've tried Eden WT550 and EBS HD350 but didn't hit the spot.

I have a headlite and I must say it's the best sounding amp I've ever owned. I've had a working pro 400, a 350x, sm-1500 and a 750x. The headlite is a bit of a warmer sounding amp, it has more of an sm series sound than the x series. There is a thread with some sound clips in it somewhere in the recordings section, just search for headlite and it should bring up the relevant Threads. Any questions pm me, I got mine from guitar guitar and they expressed some interest in stocking them.

I'm using a Headlite (with 2 x Berg 12" cabs) and I'm very happy with it. I previously had a Markbass LMK and although there is a noticeable headroom difference between the two, the Headlite is more than sufficient for gigs I play. Anything bigger and I would DI. I agree with BTGAndy in that it's a warmer sounding head (probably due to the tube pre).
The physical size of it is just crazy...I've even put it into the front pocket of my gigbag with no problems.
Cheers, Jim

[quote name='BTGAndy' post='857860' date='Jun 5 2010, 12:11 AM']I use mine in a metal band with two guitarists and I struggle with volume, a lot of it is just a change in mindset, instead of thinking I need more power I get the guitarists to play quieter.[/quote]

So thats why they produced a matching power amp to go with it. I don't understand why you suddenly need 500W+ these days when the norm in the 1970s, 80s even 90s was 100W or 150W. I suppose its the desire for that HiFi quality means you need spare power with no distortion. I think the sound I like comes from a little bit of compressed distortion from the pre-amp and the speakers have to be driven.

If the headlight is a nod back to the SM series with valve pre then that is a way to go as that was a classic line.
I still run a SM400 as it just works so well with a Jazz bass.

I don't know what I'd replace it with...so would probably pick a totally different voicing rather than chase another amp to do what the SM series does so well.

I haven't owned the X series but from what I heard it doesn't work so well for me.