Why become a member? ×

Moving thumb rest from bottom to top

cameltoe

I've got a Classic Vibe Precision 50's, and the thumb rest is currently sitting in an era-correct tugbar position below the strings. The single coil pickup doesn't allow me enough headroom above the strings to use it as a thumbrest, I end up curling my hand in a weird claw-like grasp so I don't over reach the strings.

The obvious solution is to move the thumbrest from it's frankly now useless position under the strings and reposition it on top, but I didn't want to do this without first checking on here for anything that may go wrong!

If someone could be kind enough to also describe/post a picture of roughly where it should go and how close to the strings (to be factory correct), as I just know it's either going to end up looking wonky, or I'm going to have to reposition it over and over as I realise it's still too close to the strings/ I can't reach the strings.

I suggest sticking it on with blu-tac before deciding where to drill holes - this will also let you play about with what is the best position for you. If you stick it on well blu-tac can even get you through a gig. I did this with pup and bridge covers on a mint '51 P and I'm glad I did as in the end I didn't have the nerve to drill and I was ultimately able to sell the bass on unmolested.

How about an identical but cheap pickguard & stick on a thumbrest with superglue? No extra holes & can be returned to original.

If the holes are different, you can stick it on with photograph adhesive & stick on the heads of screws with a dot of glue (no-nails?).

G.