Why become a member? ×

Using 2 4 Ohm cabs

Having been intrigued by the Super Twelve, I notice that it's mentioned on the web that you can run 2 cabs if you have a massive amp like the higher end Trace Elliots or Ashdowns that have double 4 ohm channels. My question relates to the stacking for best sound dispertion.

If you're someone like me who has loads of rack gear do you
(a) stack them both on their side so that the ports are at the bottom
(b) stack them vertically (though that would be very high)
© Put them side by side

Does the way you arrange them make any difference to what sound you'll get to any great degree?

Or say you have for example, a Vintage and a Super Twelve, would they be best to lie on their sides so that any rack gear you'd be using would be at a managable height?

Merely curious. I did notice the modular rig pages on Alex's website and noticed that the compact/Super Twelve stack would be very high and if you're rather puny and short like myself there is no way you could lift anything remotely heavy that high.

Opinions appreciated as I'm toying with doing serious upgrades to to my amp/cabs setup.

Put the rack at the bottom, so all the cabs are higher.

Cabs or speakers side by side is a no, all Claber's paired speakers are vertical for a reason. Always better go keep it vertical. Might end up with your amps to one side though, there is no need to have it on top.

If you want to maintain good horizontal dispersion then the answer is (b ). There are occasionally reasons to go for narrow dispersion, like where Steve Harris has a 2x2 cab arrangement of 4x12" cabs, so that only he hears the brunt of his midrange from his rig without it annoying his bandmates, but then that requires everyone has a proper monitor so they can hear the bass guitar well. So (a) and ( c) have their place if you're playing very big venues and your bandmates would rather just hear you through their monitors, not from your bass rig, but otherwise it's a bad idea.

I wouldn't stack the Super Twelve on the Vintage - it's just so oversized and overkill! If you're using say a Super Twelve and a Compact personally I'd stack them vertically and stick the rack on top. If you can't manage that then stick the rack on the floor. You could also try putting the cabs side by side but cross-firing them, which should give a decent dispersion pattern, and then you can put the rack on the Compact for a tidy look. Just be aware that how you position your cabs has a huge effect upon how the sound disperses - suck it and see! I note you're currently using a Markbass 102+151 - the Super Twelve on its own will play louder with a powerful amp pushing it - I'd suggest considering a nice lightweight rackmount power amp instead of an amp head, especially as you already have a Pod XT Pro.

Edited by alexclaber