Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

fender decal with small squire logo

lojo

[quote name='lojo' post='851339' date='May 29 2010, 05:44 PM']Hi

If a headstock has a large traditional Fender Decal with squire in small letters what does this make it?

Obviously I've seen (and owned) Squire by (fender in small)

But with Fender in big, what is the origin?

Thanks for any help

Btw its a P bass[/quote]

never heard of such. it shouldn't be famous JV series. I got one Precision JV from 83. and it's headstock and decal looks like this:

backplate like this:

[quote name='Tait' post='852649' date='May 31 2010, 02:40 PM']dr1, thats because your serial number is JV2. earlier in the thread someone said that its only the JV0 serial numbers that had big fender little squier, after that they swapped it.[/quote]

never heard of that too,but could be if you say so... anyway, the original poster said that his bass has no JV on the plate.

[quote name='matski' post='852736' date='May 31 2010, 04:24 PM']This is a piccie of the headstock logo situation on my (real) '82 JV Precision.

[attachment=51036:headstock_front.jpg][/quote]

See? I find that pic very questionable, while the stickers look right, I am certain that both the JV Jazz and Precision had the truss rod adjustmentat the base of the neck not on the headstock, unless this is a rarity, I find it very hard to place it.

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='852782' date='May 31 2010, 05:37 PM']See? I find that pic very questionable, while the stickers look right, I am certain that both the JV Jazz and Precision had the truss rod adjustment at the base of the neck not on the headstock, unless this is a rarity, I find it very hard to place it.[/quote]

You are not wrong, but this bass has been tampered with a lot in it's lifetime.

Originally the truss rod was only adjustable at the bottom end of the neck and the headstock end of the truss rod was hidden under the little teardrop wood inlay - just like the ones pictured above - but this bass was out of my hands for a long while, and the guy who had it changed it. It's not pretty, but it does make adjustments easier...

If I could be bothered I would remove the neck and take a pic of the hand-written date on the base of the neck which dates it to '82 and the stamped 'EX' which identifies it as an export (from Japan) model.

Surprised you didn't notice that the tuners were also not the right ones, after our previous discussion a while back about extremely stiff reverse-winders :) On this pic the tuners are the Schallers which I replaced with the period-correct wood-gouging vintage type.

Edited by matski

[quote name='matski' post='852847' date='May 31 2010, 07:10 PM']You are not wrong, but this bass has been tampered with a lot in it's lifetime.

Originally the truss rod was only adjustable at the bottom end of the neck and the headstock end of the truss rod was hidden under the little teardrop wood inlay - just like the ones pictured above - but this bass was out of my hands for a long while, and the guy who had it changed it. It's not pretty, but it does make adjustments easier...

If I could be bothered I would remove the neck and take a pic of the hand-written date on the base of the neck which dates it to '82 and the stamped 'EX' which identifies it as an export (from Japan) model.

Surprised you didn't notice that the tuners were also not the right ones, after our previous discussion a while back about extremely stiff reverse-winders :) On this pic the tuners are the Schallers which I replaced with the period-correct wood-gouging vintage type.[/quote]

No it didn't occurr to me about the tuners :rolleyes: I though from the front they looked normal, my JV also had reverse tuners and a strap button on the back of the headstock too.

[quote name='matski' post='852847' date='May 31 2010, 07:10 PM']Surprised you didn't notice that the tuners were also not the right ones, after our previous discussion a while back about extremely stiff reverse-winders :) On this pic the tuners are the Schallers which I replaced with the period-correct wood-gouging vintage type.[/quote]

yup,1st thing I noticed were the tuning machines as JV series has 60 vintage style with long three. I am tempted to pull of those from my JV p bass and make switch on my Fender japan jazz bass.

• 2 weeks later...

Found this thread while looking for info on a CN serial Fender/"Squier Series" Precision I saw on eBay. There's a fair amount of discussion about them on various forums, but it's difficult to separate assumptions and opinion from fact. The few people who have actually had one seem to like them. The auction had a starting price of £160 and I really had no idea if it was worth that, even with a case. In the end it went for £190, but as the seller hadn't pointed out the Squier Series logo, the winner might not have known what they'd bought.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200480236102&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT"]Fleabay link[/url]

[quote name='Delberthot' post='851560' date='May 30 2010, 02:23 AM']I think the reason they changed the logo around is that they were literally too good and better than the MIA Fenders at the time so Fender wanted people to know that they were the cheaper alternative to the 'superior' Fender product. The Fender execs were literally in tears as the Japanese models were far superior in every way to the pish coming out of the US factory.[/quote]

Sorry, can't agree. To say that the Japanese basses were 'literally' better than the MIA is product is quite a claim. If you are referring to the mid-eighties product I especially don't agree. After Fender recovered from the CBS period they started producing a very good American product once again. The prices of the first reissue basses from this period bears it out. They were and are quality instruments. I have an American standard precision from 1983 which is a superb bass. I would not part with it for a JV series bass. I can remember reading somewhere that at this period in their history Fender had to rely on Japan to produce instruments as they couldn't produce enough instruments in America after what had been a bad time for the company. I personally think that a lot of folklore has grown up around the JV series stuff. Yes they can be good basses but I certainly don't think you can claim that they were 'literally' better than the American product.

[quote name='Hutton' post='864193' date='Jun 11 2010, 11:46 AM']Sorry, can't agree. To say that the Japanese basses were 'literally' better than the MIA is product is quite a claim. If you are referring to the mid-eighties product I especially don't agree. After Fender recovered from the CBS period they started producing a very good American product once again. The prices of the first reissue basses from this period bears it out. They were and are quality instruments. I have an American standard precision from 1983 which is a superb bass. I would not part with it for a JV series bass. I can remember reading somewhere that at this period in their history Fender had to rely on Japan to produce instruments as they couldn't produce enough instruments in America after what had been a bad time for the company. I personally think that a lot of folklore has grown up around the JV series stuff. Yes they can be good basses but I certainly don't think you can claim that they were 'literally' better than the American product.[/quote]

They started producing in Japan at the same time that they halted production in the US to modernise the factory.

This is a great read...

[url="http://www.vintageguitar.com/features/brands/details.asp?AID=1195"]http://www.vintageguitar.com/features/bran...ls.asp?AID=1195[/url]