Why become a member? ×

FT/FS: Maverick X-5 Dave Pybus

ThomBassmonkey

I got this last week from rmshaw and although it feels and sounds nice, the looks just don't fit in with what I'm doing at the moment and since I have two other basses that sound, feel and look great (one of which will be my main bass and I want to keep my 6er just in case and for sentimental reasons), this isn't going to get used.

These are very rare, I've not been able to find much info about them online, but what little I've found suggests there were only 20 made. The volume and pickup are the well known Maverick style in-body rollers, it also has a 3 band EQ with the usual style nobs. This is the Cradle of Filth signature bass, but I managed to put that picture out of my head pretty quickly, though if you're into that kind of thing, enjoy.

Soundwise, it sounds quite compressed, it's nicely clear and punchy. It even managed to make a MAG300 (apologies to MAG users, I'm not an Ashdown fan) sound good when I gigged it on Sunday.

I've not had any problems with it being neck heavy, I imagine it could be but it's fine with a good leather strap. Action's medium and the neck's fairly slim, as you'd expect from this style of bass.

Ok, pics:

Full thing:

Body:

Headstock (chip on the horn):

Back of the body:

Back of the headstock:

Back of the neck:

Small scratches on the back of the neck:

Controls:

Mark on the fretboard (purely aesthetic):

Few marks on the back of the body (some of this is dirt catching the flash, the marks don't show up very well with the naked eye):

I'd say the condition's 7.5/10 (about 5/10 if you include the muck hehe, it just needs a quick wipe down), there's nothing that affects the playing, the small chip on the headstock is the only noticable thing when you're playing and it's a pointy bass that has real issues fitting into a bag, so it doesn't surprise me to see it there. There's also a slight knock on the back of the headstock in the same place, but it's impossible to photo because it's so slight. The scratches on the back of the neck look like it's been leant against things and slid around a bit, when I'm playing I don't notice them at all but I can feel them if I'm concentrating when I run my finger over them.

I'm looking for a trade for a Jazz style bass. I'm open to offers on other basses but I want a fairly "standard" looking and sounding bass with 2 pickups, so a Jazz is preferable. 4 or 5 strings.

I might be prepared to part with this for cash for the right offer if I don't get any trade offers I'm interested in, but for the moment this is purely up for trade so I'm not going to put up a price yet.

Edited by ThomBassmonkey

Ok, a few people seem interested in buying and the people with the jazzes I'm after don't seem interested in trades.

I had a price in mind, but since these are so rare, it's hard to value it. I'm gonna put up a price of £400 since the jazzes I'm so taken with all seem around that price and that seems about right for this.

I'm not in any rush to sell this, it's a lovely bass and I don't have any cash to add to get a jazz for a while. It's just not being used at the moment so it seems to be a shame having it sat around unused, but if that's the way it is, that's the way it is.

Had another look around online and found some specs for it!

2 x piece centre joint basswood body
Canadian Maple / Bubinga neck
Double octave 24 fret
AAA grade Indian Rosewood fingerboard
Evolution roller controls
S5 humbucking pick-ups
3 band EQ Bass, Mid, Treble

There must be someone out there that doesn't mind the looks and can see such this for the wonderful playing and sounding bass it is. :)

Bump for my post in the wanted section which includes various other options for trades including an original 70s WEM guitar amp, a Carlsbro bass amp and some pedals: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=90756"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=90756[/url]

Also prepared to look at Mex Jazzes, maybe Squier VMJs depending on condition and upgrades/added cash. Also looking at G&L tributes. But prepared to have a look at anything in trade. :)

Edited by ThomBassmonkey

Price drop to £350, though I'll still look at any offers. Will consider a straight trade for a bass of lesser value if it fits what I'm looking for well (i.e. a MIM Jazz with a maple board and NOT black or an upgraded Squier VMJ.) :)

Still prepared to look at G&Ls, SBMM, EBMM, WHY?

Thanks Dandelion, though I'm not sure if that pic would help or hinder a sale haha.

Ok, I've had an offer for this that I intend to accept at the end of the month if no one's offered me the full amount or a good jazz in a straight trade by then.

So as of now this is up for £350 firm or suitable trade.

• 2 weeks later...

If someone offered me £300 for this, I wouldn't say no (though that's as low as I'd go now).

I'm prepared to look at offers for any bass now, 4 or 5 string. Would still prefer a jazz, but I'll take a peek at anything that might interest me.

C'mon, this is a fantastic bass, I understand that it's an odd shape, but it really is a good instrument.

Edited by ThomBassmonkey

222 bump!

2 hours 22 mins left on ebay, no bids yet.

It's amazing, if this bass was a different shape, it would've gone ages ago, it's worth every penny of the asking price, not to mention it's rarity. Guess it shows how much looks do matter to bassists, regardless of what some people say when they post in "looks vs tone vs playability" type threads. Maybe I should jigsaw it into a p bass shape. :)

Didn't sell on ebay so it's back up, £250 starting bid, £400 buy out.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MAVERICK-DAVE-PYBUS-X-5-5-STRING-ELECTRIC-BASS-/320559828803?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item4aa2dacf43"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MAVERICK-DAVE-PYBUS-...=item4aa2dacf43[/url]

Dave Pybus is a friend of mine. I've shown him this thread and though he's an ESP/LTD endorser now, he had nothing but praise for Maverick and this bass. He's still got the no1 5 string version of this flight cased in his hallway. Though it might not be easy logistically (He lives here in Ipswich), he said he'd be happy to sign it for you if it'd help your sale :-)