Why become a member? ×

Best way to keep Warwick wenge/ovangkol conditioned?

Kev

Any recommendations for fretboard/neck waxing? I know the obvious is the warwick beeswax [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/warwick_beewax.htm?sid=9cf272ed86d93039bd825bbe2a238874"]here[/url]

I remember seeing a stunning wenge board on here that someone had polished up but cannot remember what they said they used.

Edited by Kev

[quote name='Kev' post='846933' date='May 24 2010, 09:56 PM']Any recommendations for fretboard/neck waxing? I know the obvious is the warwick beeswax [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/warwick_beewax.htm?sid=9cf272ed86d93039bd825bbe2a238874"]here[/url]

I remember seeing a stunning wenge board on here that someone had polished up but cannot remember what they said they used.[/quote]

Beeswax from wilco's (yellow stuff) for the body and neck... Dunlop lemon oil for the fretboard QED

Don't use a lot of wax (if any) on the neck and not on the fingerboard as the residue isn't that great for player comfort (or string life if used on the f'board). If the bass is in regular use then the natural oils from your hands will be sufficient to keep the neck oiled and as has been said a wipe with lemon oil when you're changing strings will do the trick. You can wipe the back of the neck with a light wax but if it needs a bit of extra polish just use the lemon oil you use on the f'board.

As to some Warwicks looking very polished etc, you'll find that player use/wear is the best thing to get them looking good. The older boards look a lot more slick than 'some' of the newer ones and part of that is use, part is the cut of timber used.

I wouldn't use wax on the neck full stop, the openess of grain from the Wenge and ovankol will collect little bits of the wax that will discolour over time, definitely best to use some Lemon Oil i used a sponge to apply the lemon oil on all my Warwicks when i had them and they all looked brilliant even after just one application you'll see the difference.

Don't really fancy taking steel wool to my bass, i think i will use the lemon oil but id like some recommendations as apparantly alot of lemon oils out there are far from pure and have all kinds of rubbish in them.

What is the dunlop 65 stuff like?

000 grade steel wool is not going to damage your bass.

Try it - you can buy it in B&Q. It is like night and day and absolutely no chemicals are needed to get you the smooth finish

All it does it take the sticky sweaty crap off and make the neck feel like it has been coated in chicken grease

[quote name='Kev' post='848969' date='May 26 2010, 10:02 PM']Don't really fancy taking steel wool to my bass, i think i will use the lemon oil but id like some recommendations as apparantly alot of lemon oils out there are far from pure and have all kinds of rubbish in them.

What is the dunlop 65 stuff like?[/quote]

Thats what i use, its about £5 at the guitar shops and i bought mine 3 years ago and its still half full! Worked wonders.