Why become a member? ×

opinions on playing ashdown through markbass cabs

gingerfish

Currently I'm running an Ashdown rig, only a diddy one, ABM500 evo III through an ABM210T and I have been considering getting a bigger cab for bigger venues. I have heard mixed things about the ABM410 and was considering a 4ohm Markbass cab.

Just wondering if anyone had any experience with running Ashdown and Markbass.

Anyone know any stores around sheffield that stock markbass? Think there is a store near Rotherham but I can't remember its name.

[quote name='umph' post='846602' date='May 24 2010, 04:03 PM']electro music is the one your thinking of.

People don't seem to impressed on the whole with markbass cabs, they do light very well but they don't do tone.[/quote]

Well, I think they sound great. Horses for courses. Not heard them powered by Ashdown though, sorry.

Hmm, general concensus seems to be that the Markbass cabs arent great. Have you considered getting either another ABM 210 or an ABM 115 Compact which would mean when running one of those with your existing 210 you'll be running at 4 ohms so get full power from the head plus be moving more air, then you can use both cabs for bigger gigs and just one cab for smaller gigs... Best of both worlds

Edited by phatbass787

I haven't tried the MB cabs (but want a 4x10 MB cab to add to my combo sometime), but I would get an 8 ohm & as you have an Ashdown rig so far, I would try out their neo 4x10 & you could then run a 6x10 stack if you added your current cab.

[quote name='phatbass787' post='846636' date='May 24 2010, 04:43 PM']Hmm, general concensus seems to be that the Markbass cabs arent great. Have you considered getting either another ABM 210 or an ABM 115 Compact which would mean when running one of those with your existing 210 you'll be running at 4 ohms so get full power from the head plus be moving more air, then you can use both cabs for bigger gigs and just one cab for smaller gigs... Best of both worlds[/quote]

Yeah I have been toying with this idea. I like the sound through the ABM cab, Might have to bite the bullet and get another 210.

would it be more suitable to pair two 2X10 cabs be than a 2X10 and a 4X10?

Edited by gingerfish

From what I've been told previously on here, 2 2x10s stacked vertically to make one single column 4 high would give you the best sound dispersion, but will your ABM head fit on the top if the 2x10 is sideways?

I'd have a try of both 2x10 & 4x10 with your current rig to see what sounds best to you.

[quote name='xgsjx' post='848814' date='May 26 2010, 07:20 PM']From what I've been told previously on here, 2 2x10s stacked vertically to make one single column 4 high would give you the best sound dispersion, but will your ABM head fit on the top if the 2x10 is sideways?

I'd have a try of both 2x10 & 4x10 with your current rig to see what sounds best to you.[/quote]

Yes, Just about though due the handles you would struggle to stack another cab on top.

TBH, I'd be more concerned with the tone of the amp...so if you are happy with that then I wouldn't worry if you were going for a Markbass cab or a Ashdown cab. The weakness is likely to be in the amp, if there is one. IMV.