Why become a member? ×

CORT Au naturelle

Balcro

After an 8 month search here is The One, for me anyway.

First up some general pictures. The body is Ash with a bound maple neck. It's a J/M layout with a 3 way toggle
switch to select the front, the back, or both halves of the MightyMite pickup.

It weighs about 8lbs! Just made for bassists with dodgy backs. The protective plastic is still on the pickguard, hence the stripy look.

[attachment=50364:1_CORT_GEN.jpg] [attachment=50365:2_CORT_GEN.jpg]
[attachment=50366:3_CORT_BODY.jpg] [attachment=50367:4_cort_back.jpg]

Next the head detail.
[attachment=50368:5_cort_head.jpg] [attachment=50369:6_cort_head_rear.jpg]

The neck pocket detail and a couple of views at the top of the neck.
Yes, you've seen that bound neck design elsewhere.
[attachment=50370:7_cort_neck.jpg] [attachment=50371:8_CORT_NECK_SIDE.jpg]
[attachment=50372:9_cort_neck_fit1.jpg] [attachment=50373:10_cort_neck_fit2.jpg]
[attachment=50374:11_cort_neck_fit3.jpg] [attachment=50375:12_CORT_NECK_fit4.jpg]

The knobs and switches, from the pickup down -
master volume; pickup-balance; stacked treble and bass with black spot markers.
The toggles are (1) midrange booster and (2) the pickup selecter.
[attachment=50376:CORT_BA_TREB_CONT.jpg]
[attachment=50377:CORT_SWITCHES_1.jpg]
[attachment=50378:CORT_TOGS_1.jpg]

Wow!!

That is a seriously nice and tasty looking bass - ticks all my boxes. Which model is that, BTW?

I've been looking for something similar - all the way up to a Sandberg Cali JM4. Either that, or butcher a perfectly nice Jazz bass with a humbucker.

Cool

Ian

[quote name='Bottle' post='846568' date='May 24 2010, 03:17 PM']Wow!!

That is a seriously nice and tasty looking bass - ticks all my boxes. Which model is that, BTW?

I've been looking for something similar - all the way up to a Sandberg Cali JM4. Either that, or butcher a perfectly nice Jazz bass with a humbucker.

Cool

Ian[/quote]

Tis a GB74 if i'm not mistaken. The most underrated bass on the planet. They make the G&L Tribute Series, Lakland Skyline, some Ibanez and Fender Guitars and I wouldn't mind betting the make the new Musicman series.

[quote name='BassBunny' post='846804' date='May 24 2010, 07:46 PM']Tis a GB74 if i'm not mistaken. The most underrated bass on the planet. They make the G&L Tribute Series, Lakland Skyline, some Ibanez and Fender Guitars and I wouldn't mind betting the make the new Musicman series.[/quote]

Yup, your dead right. It's a GB74. Your reference to the G&L - hence my comment about seeing that neck elsewhere.

First impressions are that it's very versatile. A wide range of tones from modern Jazz, through Precision to Thunderbird; well almost. The mid-boost toggle is really useful.

Cort's Korean web-site has one rather poor sound sample. The better ones are to be found on myspace - GB74 or GB75, and there are maybe a few more on wikizic.org

Balcro.

Cool, thanks Balcro et al

Been GAS'ing for a dual pickup bass like that ever since I saw the Sandbergs - this might be a serious contender. Only thing I would like to see different is the MM pickup switch changed to series-parallel (I guess that would be an easy mod though).

Cool beans. Off to have a look for Cort dealers in the area, see if I can't snag one somewhere.

Ta, Ian

[quote name='Bottle' post='847253' date='May 25 2010, 10:09 AM']Cool, thanks Balcro et al

Been GAS'ing for a dual pickup bass like that ever since I saw the Sandbergs - this might be a serious contender. Only thing I would like to see different is the MM pickup switch changed to series-parallel (I guess that would be an easy mod though).

Cool beans. Off to have a look for Cort dealers in the area, see if I can't snag one somewhere.

Ta, Ian[/quote]

Hi Bottle,

If you use the following link - [url="http://www.cort.kr/english/products/common/view.asp?product_id=74#;"]http://www.cort.kr/english/products/common...product_id=74#;[/url]

...and click on the second button below the picture, you'll get the circuit diagram. It's a start.

Balcro.

[quote name='Balcro' post='848067' date='May 25 2010, 11:37 PM']Hi Bottle,

If you use the following link - [url="http://www.cort.kr/english/products/common/view.asp?product_id=74#;"]http://www.cort.kr/english/products/common...product_id=74#;[/url]

...and click on the second button below the picture, you'll get the circuit diagram. It's a start.

Balcro.[/quote]
Top banana!!!

Had a quick shuftie - looks like a standard on/on/on toggle - no worries there :) .

Thanks Balcro!

Bottle