Why become a member? ×

epiphone EB-1

munkonthehill

[quote name='Delberthot' post='842553' date='May 19 2010, 09:27 PM']I'll buy it off you if you don't like it :)

I fancy trying one as well but the ones that come up on Ebay are usually Fecked

You'll need to check out the Cream Reunion tour when Sir Jack of Bruce played a real one[/quote]

aye del thats where I seen these from. The style of these basses just ooze cool. But its near on impossible to get them, I nearly bought one on ebay in in the states on monday for triple the price im getting this at due to international delivery and customs. I think the fella just want rid of it, plus he says its mint condition and barely used sinbeing bought first hand. woo hoo

This must be the most proavtive sale though matey, I dont even have it yet hahahaha

hey munkonthehill

I had one for a short while and didnt like it that much it was really neck heavy and use to give me back ache

and I found the pickups really weak in them too i put a wilkingson pre amp in there to boost the output a little which did help alot.

cheers TJAS92

decent I guess is the best description, it was very badly setup so had to adjust the action so i could get the strings to actually touch the neck. after that it was fun.

Its basic compared to my other basses so didnt take much to get to grips with it. Playing through the ampeg in the pic was quite sweet, the clean channel gave me a light bass sound, I wouldnt say it was a very rough or aggressive vintage pickup which i had kinda hoped for, but very mellow and warm.

When I put it through the OD channel, it really sounded sweet. I was playing about with it most of tonight and really digging it.

Heres my issue now, is it a bass I would gig!!!!!!!!!!! My jag is my gigging bass and the aerodyne which i recently got is up next for my next gig in a few weeks.. im just not sure where I would use this bass.

I mainly bought it as I love the look of it and now i have it im kinda lost as what to do.

I see it being my practice bass for the house and may put the other basses away in there cases for their own safety as my wee fella is getting closer and closer to them as he is more mobile these days.

[quote name='Delberthot' post='843675' date='May 20 2010, 11:16 PM']it seems a shame to use a bass like that just for practicing :)[/quote]

aye it looks the part and has a nice sound. Im really needing to get it in to get it setup properly though.

One of my guitarists made a comment that i could use it when we do beatle covers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hate when people dont know about basses used, they just see the violin shape and think hofner.

[quote name='Delberthot' post='843684' date='May 20 2010, 11:22 PM']Well they did copy the original design and make it out of plywood as a cheap copy of the 'original' bass[/quote]

i thought these were made of mahogany!!

[url="http://www.elderly.com/items/55U-2714.htm"]http://www.elderly.com/items/55U-2714.htm[/url]

where did you get your info??

nah, I meant Hofner copied the Gibson EB-1.

They made them out of cheap plywood as budget basses. If it hadn;t been for a certain Liverpudlian, chances are that no one today would've remembered about them cos they'd have probably gone out of business long ago and that crazy German dude might have got his £3000 for the 'first' bass

[quote name='7string' post='844613' date='May 21 2010, 09:02 PM']Quite like that wee bass :)[/quote]

it needs a right good stetting up, so you may see it sooner than you think hahaha. I tried lowering the action but i reckon it may need a wee neck tweak and i think the nut is a bit large too.

nice one, i will see how i get on with it.

My main issue is it just sitting in the room and not getting gigged. My aerodyne is getting used at next gig so will just wait to see if i fancy it as a gigging bass or not.
as its mint condition and hard to find, I may just store it,,,,,any idea if these would go up in value in the years to come???

I don't think that they will ever go up in value like JV Squiers etc but the fact that there are relatively few of them could add to the value if someone was really desparate to have one.

The average person looking for a violin bass is going to go with a Hofner or Hofner clone. Even Epiphone themselves abandoned this model to go with a Hofner clone

I've never tried one but its on my list of basses to try so I am serious about taking it off your hands if you decide not to keep it for the right price obviously. :)

I expect it to sound a bit lighter than an EB-0 due to the smaller mass of the body and so for than I think more people would go for the EB-0.

[quote name='Delberthot' post='844931' date='May 22 2010, 10:51 AM']I don't think that they will ever go up in value like JV Squiers etc but the fact that there are relatively few of them could add to the value if someone was really desparate to have one.

The average person looking for a violin bass is going to go with a Hofner or Hofner clone. Even Epiphone themselves abandoned this model to go with a Hofner clone

I've never tried one but its on my list of basses to try so I am serious about taking it off your hands if you decide not to keep it for the right price obviously. :rolleyes:

I expect it to sound a bit lighter than an EB-0 due to the smaller mass of the body and so for than I think more people would go for the EB-0.[/quote]

I dont know why but i doubt i would ever go with hofner, I just dont like the look of the violin bass they do and I aint a big fan of the EB-0 or eb-3 or the hofner clone they do. Its funny how you have a taste or preference and nothing else will do. if anyone wants to swap an eb-2 (rivoli) for my eb-1 please get in contact :lol:

The EB-1 really is a sturdy bass but as it has a P-bass style chunky neck and I love the thin jazz bass it may take a bit of getting used to, plus it needs a setup as ive already said.

im really suprised the eb-0 goes for 140bucks brand new,,,,i wqas robbed :)

Edited by munkonthehill