Why become a member? ×

Forum Noob help needed! EMG PJ Bass pickup set help please!!

clint1009

Recommended to try here my a fellow musicradar forumite...

I have been trying to install a PJ set which I've followed to the letter but have still run into problems. The pickups seem to have very lower output compared to other EMG pickups I have and turning any of the 3 knobs (neck vol,bridge vol,tone) does nothing. Tapping the pickups reveals the E and A side coil (P-Bass type) seems to not be working where as both the others do.

Baffed!! Any ideas?

Are they passive pickups? I am assuming yes.

Next thing to do is to upload a really nice clear photograph of all the wiring (so we can see cable colour and where the wires are attached) - I reckon it will be something fairly simple and a second set of eyes will set you straight in to time!

I think I had exactly the same thing with my EMG's. I eventually realised that the connector can actually fit either way around on the bottom of the pickup, and I had one of the plugs upside down.

As a precaution, I would probably Google an EMG wiring diagram and check which way around they should be before you start plugging them differently. Mine didn't seem to be affected by being plugged up wrong, but you never know what damage it might cause if you keep doing it?

It's a bit difficult to tell from that pic but if we assume the wiring is correct, the problem is more likely to be at the connector end where they meet the pickups. This is alluded to by my friend Hugh Hands above.

One tip I use is to ensure that when the connector is in place you can see small 'windows' of copper when viewed from the underside of the pickup (the wrong way shows only black plastic).

Check this and come back to us.

I'm bound to say that judging by your avatar you seem a little young to be wielding a soldering iron. :)

Okay a couple of new clearer pics and a summary of my problems. Any help appreciated!!

- E and A string side of P-type pickup not working although D and G side is.

- J-type (bridge) pickup not working.

- All quick connectors are the right way up.

- Both volume and tone controls do nothing at all.

- VERY low output to amp.

- As far as the diagram goes everything appears to be wired correctly.

- :)

[quote name='The Bass Doc' post='837158' date='May 14 2010, 02:02 PM']Not sure you've got the wires to the barrel jack the right way round - try swapping black and white?[/quote]

GENIUS!!! It's alive!!!! :rolleyes:

Thank you!! I was certain I'd done that correctly.... oops!

I have a spare battery clip is it worth doing the 18V mod? I can't mess that up!! :)

Glad you are sorted! That's great!

I noticed an improvement going from 9 to 18v - but I think it was worthwhile as I am using a preamp as well, so having the extra current is probably a bonus!

I also noticed an improvement with 18v, using a bass with 2 P pickups and a treble/bass control (all EMG). My current bass with EMGs is also 18v - I didn't bother trying it out with 9v.

It's a very easy mod and easy to put back. Nothing to lose!