Why become a member? ×

Heads up for Londoners and nearby places...

Grand Wazoo

I was out and about in the big smoke today enjoying a day off when I spotted and tried this Big Al 4 strings in the Bass Cellar, Denmark Street. Olympic White with a white perloid guard, rosewood neck and the 3 single coil pickup combo.

It played really nice and the best bit is that the asking price on the tag says £1695 but they are willing to let it go for somethin between £1399-£1450 for cash. (in other words 15% off for cash) If you are after one of these and you want it now without having to wait 5 months like I am for a 5 strings one, then give them a bell and put a deposit down, it will not last long at that price.

Believe me if I didn't have one on the way I would have snatched that one, it sounded the bllx! Like Ed Friedland said, it's a P-Bass killa!

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='835652' date='May 12 2010, 08:32 PM']I was out and about in the big smoke today enjoying a day off when I spotted and tried this Big Al 4 strings in the Bass Cellar, Denmark Street. Olympic White with a white perloid guard, rosewood neck and the 3 single coil pickup combo.

It played really nice and the best bit is that the asking price on the tag says £1695 but they are willing to let it go for somethin between £1399-£1450 for cash. (in other words 15% off for cash) If you are after one of these and you want it now without having to wait 5 months like I am for a 5 strings one, then give them a bell and put a deposit down, it will not last long at that price.

Believe me if I didn't have one on the way I would have snatched that one, it sounded the bllx! Like Ed Friedland said, it's a P-Bass killa![/quote]

I still think we were wise ordering the 5 string version. Someone snap this up and join the club!

What I've also realized about this bass is that despite the sharp looks it is very functional to play in the ergonomic side of things, the angular body shape is very comfortable and it's by no means as cumbersome to hold as it might look on pictures. Actually the body when you look at it, is quite petite and with those 3 huge single coils and the massive bridge, everything seems to be neatly compact and evenly placed.

I have ordered mine in April almost sight unseen, I had only previously tried one at a music show last year and liked it but I was only able to hear the sound through one of those pandora box headphone amp that was on the Ernie Ball stand, didn't give it justice, now that I have heard it properly through an amp I am convinced that I have made the right choice.

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='835822' date='May 13 2010, 12:46 AM']What I've also realized about this bass is that despite the sharp looks it is very functional to play in the ergonomic side of things, the angular body shape is very comfortable and it's by no means as cumbersome to hold as it might look on pictures. Actually the body when you look at it, is quite petite and with those 3 huge single coils and the massive bridge, everything seems to be neatly compact and evenly placed.

I have ordered mine in April almost sight unseen, I had only previously tried one at a music show last year and liked it but I was only able to hear the sound through one of those pandora box headphone amp that was on the Ernie Ball stand, didn't give it justice, now that I have heard it properly through an amp I am convinced that I have made the right choice.[/quote]

Excellent news :)

Im really looking forward to that first few minutes of hearing it...

I tell you what else I tried yesterday:

1) MIM Fender 60's reissue Precision. Verdict in a nutshell: CRAP! horrible neck, edged like a sawtooth, sounded like sh|te!
2) Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Bass: nice enough to play but very bad sounding, deffo lesser quality than those made in China. I'll stay away from the Indonesia stuff from now on.
3) Epiphone EB3, that was nice, but I couldn't hold it on a strap without getting a back pain, weights as much as 2 basses glued together, sounded good though.
4) Ashdown wireless gizmo, expensive but it worked, if you can afford it, buy one, it didn't warp the original sound at all so that gets a 10/10 from me, yet I can't justify that much dough.
5) TC Electronic Polytune - yay!!! Something else to go in my xmas stocking this year, wicked little tuner, forget about everything you've tried before this thing is nice and accurate, it also picks up the harmonics on a low B (5th string) at almost any fret
6) Boss RC20-XL Loop Station, as above Xmas stocking filler, pricey but you can overdub lots and lots up to 16 minutes of recording time with what seems like unlimited overdubbed tracks and it has a very interesting feature: it quantizes your next phrase / chords / solo automatically so even if you are slightly lopsided it manages to fit it nicely in sync. Wicked this one and worth the £200 mark.

In conclusion

1) Big Al four = MEGA
2) Boss RC20-XL = MEGA
3) TC Electronics Polytune = MEGA
4) Ashsown wireless whatsits = COOL but dear
5) Epiphone EB3 = Interesting but not my cuppa - too bloody heavy
6) Squier Tele Bass VMod = nah... not keen.
7) Fender reissue 60 Pbass Made in Mez'co = just say no! take a wide berth. It's proper sh|te.

While the fact that they have one in stock may be cause for some joy, the fact that they are rude ignorant arses would make me wait ten years before giving them 10p if at all. And if you really want to try one go see or talk to Darren at bassmerchants in colchester he has one in stock (4 string) and to my knowledge has never been a rude ignorant arse !!!

Edited by kjm

[quote name='kjm' post='835892' date='May 13 2010, 08:58 AM']While the fact that they have one in stock may be cause for some joy, the fact that they are rude ignorant arses would make me wait ten years before giving them 10p if at all. And if you really want to try one go see or talk to Darren at bassmerchants in colchester he has one in stock (4 string) and to my knowledge has never been a rude ignorant arse !!![/quote]

Darren is a top bloke I give you that but he is untold blinking miles from me.

Serioulsy Kim you can't generalize, that shop has a fast turnaround of staff, and every time I have been there, there have been new faces, I am not discounting your bad experience, but you can't paint them all with the same tar brush. The blokes that were in there yesterday were a right laugh and helpful too.

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='836010' date='May 13 2010, 11:23 AM']Serioulsy Kim you can't generalize, that shop has a fast turnaround of staff, and every time I have been there, there have been new faces, I am not discounting your bad experience, but you can't paint them all with the same tar brush. The blokes that were in there yesterday were a right laugh and helpful too.[/quote]

:)

Can't agree with you, I'm afraid.

I walk past The Bass Cellar most days, and go in maybe once a month.

The "new" manager has now been there for about two years. The assistants who are normally in there with him (permed from a pool of about four regulars) have all been there longer than him.

Since he arrived I've found the manager to be polite and helpful, but bear in mind that I'm normally wearing a suit, and I'm a middle-aged bald guy who looks like his wallet contains a bit more than an Oyster Card.

On occasion I've also seen him looking/acting surly, but that wasn't directed at me - I got the impression he was as pissed off with his employer as we all are.

[quote name='kjm' post='835892' date='May 13 2010, 08:58 AM']While the fact that they have one in stock may be cause for some joy, the fact that they are rude ignorant arses would make me wait ten years before giving them 10p if at all. And if you really want to try one go see or talk to Darren at bassmerchants in colchester he has one in stock (4 string) and to my knowledge has never been a rude ignorant arse !!![/quote]

Ive only been in the Bass Cellar once as Im a northerner, so I cannot really comment apart from the fact the atmosphere was a little uncomfortable.

Darren at the Bass Merchant holds the orders for all of my new EBMMs, so that reflects on how much I trust those guys there. He has the patience of a saint when it comes to my gear requests, and great prices to boot. Highly recommended. I did visit a few times but now Im in Newcastle I cannot go down very often. Id love to test drive that Big Al, but Ive ordered one in 5 string anyway without that test drive. I know EBMM will get it right.

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='836010' date='May 13 2010, 11:23 AM']Darren is a top bloke I give you that but he is untold blinking miles from me.

Serioulsy Kim you can't generalize, that shop has a fast turnaround of staff, and every time I have been there, there have been new faces, I am not discounting your bad experience, but you can't paint them all with the same tar brush. The blokes that were in there yesterday were a right laugh and helpful too.[/quote]

I see what you mean, things can change in a store. Its great that they let you test all those bits n pieces out.

I just received my Polytune from the Bass Merchant so Im looking forward to playing around with it. :)

[quote name='Musicman20' post='836149' date='May 13 2010, 01:37 PM']I see what you mean, things can change in a store. Its great that they let you test all those bits n pieces out.

I just received my Polytune from the Bass Merchant so Im looking forward to playing around with it. :)[/quote]

Wait... the only thing that I tried in the Bass Cellar was the Big Al. The rest of the bits were in all the other shops up and down tin pan alley.

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='836209' date='May 13 2010, 02:38 PM']Wait... the only thing that I tried in the Bass Cellar was the Big Al. The rest of the bits were in all the other shops up and down tin pan alley.[/quote]

Ah! I see...

Its weird that there a few of these basses dotted around the country.

I did pass a few of the stores up here just to see if there was any stock, to test out. Unfortunately no, and not only that, after I asked if I could try one, their quotes were MUCH higher than what Im paying (and no doubt you to after our PMs).

I got the whole 'only just released, so very expensive' as I didnt realise how things work.