Why become a member? ×

Bass Collection SB320 "No longer available!!!!!"

:) Reluctantly selling my translucent green SB320 Bass Collection SGC Nanyo (not the new rubbish)Its a 1995 model, Purchased new by me in 97 for about £500. Including a used but custom fitted hard case! Those who know, know. Those who dont,dont seem to care at the moment about these basses but as many other sellers keep saying they get the feeling its not the right thing to do long term but what can you do. Im raising funds for a pre ernie ball stingray and this is going in the pot!
It trans green with gold plated hardware as all genuine active BC's are as far as im aware? Will need new strings and a good polish if thats your thing but compared to what value for money these basses already are im not going to fit new strings as well.Bass gallery London and a few other people inc Rare and Vintage agree about the £200-£250 mark for these quality little known beasts so lets begin around there for now and see what happens?Thanks

Photos to follow when I get a minute..... Edited by stingrayPete1977

If you sell it for £200 someone will get a right deal. Coincedently ,the other day (when i had a mad moment)the Bass Gallery suggested i should ask £275-300 for my extremely well kept Nanyo SGC 311(310??? see attachment) in transparent red.
I have done a bit of research and in some parts of the world private sellers are asking £450 -575 for some examples( i dont know how much the exchange rates affect this). The Bass Gallery has a tatty looking one up for £300 and i recently saw a tatty 'made in korea' one in Denmark st for £240.
What you paid for it new seems cheap too, i know of one person that paid £500 second hand for a 320 in 1999. Im thinking that when you bought it it may had been seen as a bit of a white elephant by the shop owner as Bass collection went out of business around 1996. He may have just wanted to get his money back on old stock or was flooging off liquidation stock..

As you will know the Japanese ones are excellent build quality. I have been a french polisher/woodfinisher for 25 years and i'd say the finish on my 311 is flawless .As flat as the polyester finish on a Yamaha grand piano.I have seen some horror "blemishes" on some of the mega buck basses i have been looking at recently ranging from runs, to cratering or dimpling caused by sillicone or oil contamination, probably from machines used on production lines......

My advice, hang on to it and find £200 another way if poss......... Read the forums, so many people have regretted selling their little japanese BC's

Good luck.
Ps,,,back pain sufferers, my BC weighs exactly 8lb with the strap !!!

Edited by Ktmman

Thanks Ktmman Hanging on to them does seem to be the case, but i have my eyes on a very sweet pre eb stingray and an extra couple of hundered pounds now on this particular one may pay dividends in the long run.I cant understand why bass collections never took off. As far as the price I paid they actually went up to around £700 a couple of years after so I did very well.I will post some pics and see what happens I definitley wont let it go for nothing and as usual as you say the finish on mine is superb and really nice wood visible through the trans paint finish.The only thing that seems to go is the gold plating,Im not sure if it can be polished up or if that will just rub through even worse.Also seems noting that as far as I can tell the 320 is the baby with all the trimmings with higher numbers only relating to more strings rather than better versions.Maybe mine will be one of many bass collection posts that go full circle and decide to keep it after all,Time will tell.
I suppose I should add then to anyone who does not know what we are on about to have a read and do some research then come and have a play it could be the best couple of hundred pound you ever spend or if you happen to have a pre ernie ball stingray and fancy a deal with the sb320 or just want my cash let me know.Thanks

[quote name='Ktmman' date='May 6 2010, 08:58 PM' post='830041']
I have been keeping these tucked away but have decided to share with other Bass Collection fans :rolleyes:
[/quot
Mine is basically the same as the trans green one on the end but four string hence 320 rather than 325 :)
Not sure what a 321 is though are 310 series passive and 320 series active?

The 310s are active. There was an early model ,the 301 which was passive..
The 320s have a sen body and gold hardware, thats the only difference from the 310 . Think of it as the "ghia" or "vanden plas" version :rolleyes:

I thought yours was a bit cheap for a new purchace. I think the pricing was along the lines of £600+ for the 310s ,£700+ for 320s and £800+ for the 400 series. This was in late 80s early 90s so it was a pretty penny then .

Im no expert on basses but do like to research everything i buy (usually afterwards and sometimes i get the purchace wrong) with the Bc 311 i got it right imho and if i was going to "give it away" it would be to a family member.................

Read this....If this dont convince you :)
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=697"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=697[/url]

Edited by Ktmman

Hi Will,
There's even a Facebook page for these things!

[url="http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=122332681404&v=photos"]BC SGC Nanyo on Facebook[/url]

I have a memory that BC ran a custom design competition in one of the UK bass magazines some years ago, but I haven't been able to search the archive yet (I think the winner had a right hand thumb rail or some such). Probably after the transfer from Japan to Korea though. NS

[quote name='Ktmman' post='830780' date='May 7 2010, 04:13 PM']The 310s are active. There was an early model ,the 301 which was passive.. The 320s have a sen body and gold hardware, thats the only difference from the 310 . Think of it as the "ghia" or "vanden plas" version :rolleyes: I thought yours was a bit cheap for a new purchace. I think the pricing was along the lines of £600+ for the 310s ,£700+ for 320s and £800+ for the 400 series. This was in late 80s early 90s so it was a pretty penny then . Im no expert on basses but do like to research everything i buy (usually afterwards and sometimes i get the purchace wrong) with the Bc 311 i got it right imho and if i was going to "give it away" it would be to a family member................. Read this....If this dont convince you :) [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=697"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=697[/url][/quote]

Thanks to all, It does seem I got it at the right price then.Pics will be going up later .I will leave it just on here for now then put it on ebay after a day or two so as to give the genuine buyers out there a fair chance first.Everyone keeps telling me how good they are but will anyone come forward with the cash ?

Wow. Thanks for posting Ktmman.
I've just bought a Bass Collection SB460.
Got it to use as a pub bass. I'm blown away by how solid the bass is. Has a great fundamental sound and a super fast neck.
The pickups and EQ are pretty terrible but once I've replaced them it should sound great. I'm really happy and feel I got a lot for the money. It cost me £275 delivered.
If I had the cash I'd grab this one too !

[quote name='NAS' post='830810' date='May 7 2010, 04:44 PM']Hi Will,
There's even a Facebook page for these things!

[url="http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=122332681404&v=photos"]BC SGC Nanyo on Facebook[/url]

I have a memory that BC ran a custom design competition in one of the UK bass magazines some years ago, but I haven't been able to search the archive yet (I think the winner had a right hand thumb rail or some such). Probably after the transfer from Japan to Korea though. NS[/quote]

Hi Nick,i finally started posting on here ..........

How did you you know it was me? -:)

Hahahah check this on Facebook , i swear it's not me Nick ........ [url="http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=321481&op=3&o=global&view=global&subj=122332681404&id=1554280936"]http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=3214...p;id=1554280936[/url]

Edited by Ktmman

[quote name='flippyfloop' post='830964' date='May 7 2010, 07:47 PM']Wow. Thanks for posting Ktmman.
I've just bought a Bass Collection SB460.
Got it to use as a pub bass. I'm blown away by how solid the bass is. Has a great fundamental sound and a super fast neck.
The pickups and EQ are pretty terrible but once I've replaced them it should sound great. I'm really happy and feel I got a lot for the money. It cost me £275 delivered.
If I had the cash I'd grab this one too ![/quote]

My pleasure.

All that build quality for little more than the price of a Squire !!!

Yes it needs new strings too, But as I have said and people keep pointing out these are great basses at give away prices so Im either keeping it and putting it back in the cupboard until I get ideas again or it sells as is,Im not investing more time and money into it for £2-300. Anyone with serious offers can call me on 07976 006879(Pete)

KTM, KTM, KTM !!! Maybe we should get some "big bottom" tatts too! Apologies - not meaning to hijack this well worthy "for sale" thread. NS

[quote name='Ktmman' post='830998' date='May 7 2010, 08:20 PM']Hi Nick,i finally started posting on here .......... How did you you know it was me? -:) Hahahah check this on Facebook , i swear it's not me Nick ........ [url="http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?%20%20pid=321481&op=3&o=global&view=global&subj=122332681404&id=1554280936"]http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=3214...p;id=1554280936[/url][/quote]