Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

First output from my originals band

Pete1967

Folks, after much to-ing and fro-ing, my originals band has finally got a MySpace page, and out first proper recorded output is now available to the big wide world. Have a listen, and let me know what you think. Genuinely canvassing feedback here so that we can improve everything... songs, performance, production.

Oh yeah.. I know about the Yammy DTX drums... working on that!

[url="http://www.myspace.com/theofficialblackswans"]OfficialBlackSwans[/url]

Thanks guys.

[quote name='stonecoldbass' post='829868' date='May 6 2010, 05:58 PM']Um, mp3 player doesn't appear when I open that link..?[/quote]

Thanks for taking a look... The player is MySpace's standard one and it's a Flash object... so could be something to do with Flash settings on your PC???

P

[quote name='Rimskidog' post='830302' date='May 7 2010, 08:13 AM']Songs are pretty cool. Musicianship is good. Vocals are too loud, have too much verb, are distorted in places and have some masking issues in places. Am only listening on laptop so can't tell what else is going on. Hope this helps.[/quote]
Fab - thanks for the feedback... I think the vox are too high too, personally, but politics...... anyway, mix and verb I can fix... I suspect the distortion you hear is down to the vocal style... but masking issues... could you help me out on that? I suspect you mean the vocal gets lost in the mix, but if you could point me in the right direction to tidy some of that up - I'd love you forever :)

Cheers

P

Essentially there is something going on with similar frequencies as the vocals (guitar/rhodes??) masking the vocal slightly. The key is to sit the vocal in the mix where you want it (perhaps using a little compression) and then EQ conflicting frequencies out of all the other tracks. That means using a fairly surgical EQ with a narrow Q and sweeping the spectrum with a high level of boost to find the worst offenders. When you find them reverse the boost of those frequencies into cuts. Voila, your vocal will now sit more happily in the mix.

[quote name='Mog' post='831537' date='May 8 2010, 03:59 PM']Some very cool tunes there lad. Couldnt get a proper listen in due to crappy laptop speakers but it it seemed fine from here. Just what ya want on a chilled out afternoon.[/quote]

+1 nice tunes, also on crappy laptop speakers.