Why become a member? ×

Idiotic Comments

Doddy

On Tuesday, Mrs silddx expressed concern and subsequently berated a colleague who said she wasn't going to vote because she didn't understand what the parties stood for or what their policies meant. Mrs silddx told her colleague it was her responsibility to vote, upon which she said not to worry, she would vote next year :) And before you say "Ah, but she could have been startlingly insightful and prescient!", she had no idea what a hung parliament was.

Edited by silddx

[quote name='silddx' post='830672' date='May 7 2010, 02:04 PM']On Tuesday, Mrs silddx expressed concern and subsequently berated a colleague who said she wasn't going to vote because she didn't understand what the parties stood for or what their policies meant. Mrs silddx told her colleague it was her responsibility to vote, upon which she said not to worry, she would vote next year :) And before you say "Ah, but she could have been startlingly insightful and prescient!", she had no idea what a hung parliament was.[/quote]

Oh neatly morphed into another long running general thread!

[quote name='Zach' post='829842' date='May 6 2010, 05:27 PM']Did you offer to correct her about her misconception about bass Vs 'normal' guitar, or teach her how to set up the PA? if not then I can't see how you feel it's justified to mock her ignorance.

I'll admit I don't know how to set up a PA system, although I might be able to work it out, but i wouldn't feel that that makes me a worse person/bassist, i don't see what the big deal is.[/quote]

There are some people that won't listen to what you tell them. My biggest bugbear with some customers is that they don't believe what you tell them because you are a salesman, and the salesman's priority is to take your money. I have had many that say they will have to come back with their guitar teacher or ask their teacher's advice before buying.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='830706' date='May 7 2010, 02:48 PM']There are some people that won't listen to what you tell them. My biggest bugbear with some customers is that they don't believe what you tell them because you are a salesman, and the salesman's priority is to take your money. I have had many that say they will have to come back with their guitar teacher or ask their teacher's advice before buying.[/quote]

I can understand that if the buyer is young or doesn't have a lot of experience or knowledge. As the salesman you get a very short period of time to assess the customers’ needs and inform them on the products you feel is right for them. Where as, the tutor will have spent quite a bit of time with that person and has probably had some form conversation about gear.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='830706' date='May 7 2010, 02:48 PM']There are some people that won't listen to what you tell them. My biggest bugbear with some customers is that they don't believe what you tell them because you are a salesman, and the salesman's priority is to take your money. I have had many that say they will have to come back with their guitar teacher or ask their teacher's advice before buying.[/quote]

Sadly, Pete, that is how many salesmen are, especially in glossy retail where the staff whiz about from shop to shop and it's assumed to be target driven.
I think bringing a guitar teacher in is a fine idea. You should recommend it. You can then get a good reputation with that teacher and they can advise their pupils to seek you out.

"oh suits you sir"

[quote name='OldGit' post='830716' date='May 7 2010, 02:58 PM']Sadly, Pete, that is how many salesmen are, especially in glossy retail where the staff whiz about from shop to shop and it's assumed to be target driven.
I think bringing a guitar teacher in is a fine idea. You should recommend it. You can then get a good reputation with that teacher and they can advise their pupils to seek you out.

"oh suits you sir"[/quote]

Hmm...I see your point. However, to most customers their teacher is God, and in some cases don't always know what they are on about.

For instance, I sold an Epiphone guitar worth over £500 to someone. He showed it to his guitar teacher, who pointed out the minutest fretbuzz, and said the guitar should be returned for a refund. Despite my reassurance that the guitar was fine, the customer wasn't convinced because the teacher had insisted. In the end we had no choice but to refund the money.

I later asked the teacher, who was well known to us, to explain his actions. He denied saying anything to his pupil.

This points to the OP as the girl and her mother probably being ill-advised.

Edited by Pete Academy

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='830728' date='May 7 2010, 03:10 PM']Hmm...I see your point. However, to most customers their teacher is God, and in some cases don't always know what they are on about.

For instance, I sold an Epiphone guitar worth over £500 to someone. He showed it to his guitar teacher, who pointed out the minutest fretbuzz, and said the guitar should be returned for a refund. Despite my reassurance that the guitar was fine, the customer wasn't convinced because the teacher had insisted. In the end we had no choice but to refund the money.

I later asked the teacher, who was well known to us, to explain his actions. He denied saying anything to his pupil.

This points to the OP as the girl and her mother probably being ill-advised.[/quote]

if advised at all :)

I suspect your customer had a bit of buyer's remorse and pinned it on their tutor :rolleyes:

[quote name='Mikey R' post='830907' date='May 7 2010, 06:42 PM']No-ones said anything about the role of autotune in modern pop music. Anyone chosen for their dancing ability can now sound good enough to sell to 15 year olds.[/quote]

I quite like Auto tune in the right place ...