Why become a member? ×

Lakland 44-75 (that's the DJ replacement) mock up

EssentialTension

[quote name='Musicman20' post='838161' date='May 15 2010, 02:32 PM']The DJ was still much nicer! I very much doubt these new basses will hold that Lakland magic now everything is all change.[/quote]

I would like to think that there won't be *too* much change within Lakland. Although obviously they are under new ownership, from the limited stuff I've gathered they are pretty much keeping all of the same staff and obviously Hanson have done a lot of work already for Lakland to do with pickups etc., which I would think must account for something? Although the Darryl Jones obviously isn't going to be (or look to be) a Darryl Jones anymore, I think it will still be a special bass that will hopefully be unlikely effected by change of ownership - I know anybody hasn't said this, but some people liken it to the pre/post CBS Fender thing and obviously that would be an unfair comparison, in the same way that it may not neccesarily be a bad thing that they will be under (what looks to be sound) new ownership.

But it's not besides the fact that after buying my Lakland 44-01, I am about 90pc certain that if I get a bass in the future it would be nice to be a USA Lakland and I secretly hope they don't change :)

• 9 months later...

Hi

I have 2 Korean DJ4's, not the ones now built in Indonesia. Although i've yet to play one of the new ones, i have heard suggestions that the build isn't the same as before. I have spoken to Headline/PRS who used to distribute the basses and that seemed to back up what i'd heard.

I was lucky enough to get a second hand Korean Black DJ4 (Rosewood) on Ebay for a real good price recently. In 24 years of paying and all the Affordable Jazz re-issues i've tried, nothing has come close to the Skyline DJ4's i own. Every bassist i know who have played either of mine are now on the look out for one.

A friend is about to try anew DJ5 so i look forward to the verdict.