Why become a member? ×

Bass by William Tarr

If anybody is interested (and got a spare 40K to spend) I know of a bass by William Tarr that's looking for a new owner. Kept in good condition by Roger Dawson, it is currently residing in Stalybridge, near Manchester. The current owner is retiring due to ill health.

PM me if you want details.

The Major

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

[quote name='Major-Minor' post='827880' date='May 4 2010, 08:00 PM']If anybody is interested (and got a spare 40K to spend) I know of a bass by William Tarr that's looking for a new owner. Kept in good condition by Roger Dawson, it is currently residing in Stalybridge, near Manchester. The current owner is retiring due to ill health.

PM me if you want details.

The Major[/quote]

Hi there,

Sorry but I'm not buying. The reason I wanted to get in touch is that I'm a student at Newark school of violin making and in my third and final year. At the moment I'm making two 3/4 double bass to the design of a William Tarr bass. I was wondering if you have any pictures of the bass that your friend has and would be willing to send them. I'm finding it hard to get pictures of the scroll in particular. I can't offer much in return but if your interested could send pictures of my basses as they come on.

Thanks.

[quote name='Gnarlythotep.' post='1125047' date='Feb 12 2011, 03:39 PM']Hi there,

Sorry but I'm not buying. The reason I wanted to get in touch is that I'm a student at Newark school of violin making and in my third and final year. At the moment I'm making two 3/4 double bass to the design of a William Tarr bass. I was wondering if you have any pictures of the bass that your friend has and would be willing to send them. I'm finding it hard to get pictures of the scroll in particular. I can't offer much in return but if your interested could send pictures of my basses as they come on.

Thanks.[/quote]
Sounds like the perfect thing to post in a thread on this forum. Would love to watch the progress of a build like this.

[quote name='Gnarlythotep.' post='1125047' date='Feb 12 2011, 03:39 PM']Hi there,

Thanks.[/quote]

If you can get hold of Raymond Elgar's "Looking At The Double Bass" there is a photo of a Tarr pegbox and scroll from an 1847 bass. Also in Peter Chandler's book "So you wan to make a Double Bass" there is a photo of an 1834 Tarr bass. I believe that he also supplies plans for this (and other basses).
If you can't find the Elgar book (it's been out of print for many years) let me know and I'll see about emailing you a pic.