Why become a member? ×

SOLD - 76 Alembic Series 1 Long Scale

phobucket

Hi all,

I'm putting up my 1976 Alembic Series 1 for sale. If you have been looking for a way to get an Alembic Series 1 but can't afford to shell out the dough for a new one, or even a pristine used one, this is your chance.

[b]The good stuff:[/b]
76 Alembic Series 1 Long Scale (34 inch) 4 string
Body: Koa body with Maple Top and Perdoba Rosa back
Neck: Maple neck with Purpleheart stringers
Fingerboard: Ebony
Headstock: Zebrawood front and back laminates
Electronics: Series 1, Includes power supply. A prior owner modified it so that you can run a mono cable from the 1/4 inch jack and run on battery and Stereo from the 5 pin. This is good if you ever forget the power supply for a gig.

G&G case.

[b]The bad stuff:[/b]
Headstock: neck joint was cracked and repaired prior to 2002. The previous owner has said it was stable all of this time.
Pickups: Someone tried to remove the center humcanceller and left pry marks on the pickup.
Inlays: The inlay at the 12th fret has a <1cm chip.
Bumps and bruises: The instrument is over 30 years old and has some bumps and bruises to the finish on the body, and a few dings on the back of the neck, and the brass is tarnished. I'm in the process of restoring the brass and will post some new pics when that is done.

Now that I made it sound terrible, you can look at the pictures and see that it is still a very beautiful Alembic. (The previous owner had a professional photographer photograph it...oooh pretty. ) As it stands now, I have an Alembic that sounds great and I can take out to gigs without worrying about every fingerprint. Selling because I had to replace our boiler last month and it put us in a bit of a jam. I was planning on restoring the bass, but if I did that I would have to sell it for closer to 4k..thought someone might be interested in getting it first.

Lastly, the bass is in the US. I am happy to work out arrangements to make it a secure transaction. More/bigger pics are available.

Due to increased flight prices and a home repair bill, I can't make it to the UK until fall and am looking for a straight sale now.

Best,
Ben

Edited by phobucket

Nice looking bass and a good price for a Series 1 this side of the pond (particularly one from the '70's). Shame about the damage to the neck but if you don't notice it when you play and it hasn't effected the strength of the neck then I wouldn't imagine it's a problem

Best of luck with the sale. Have you posted this on the Alembic club website as well as there may well be a member that would take it up to add to their collection.

Take a look at [url="http://alembic.com/cgi-bin/alembic-club/discus.cgi?pg=topics"]http://alembic.com/cgi-bin/alembic-club/discus.cgi?pg=topics[/url]

All the best
James

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Absolutely lovely basses and an incredible bargain at this price. The electronics alone make it worth a punt - the new DS5 power supply is $425 alone on pre-order ($525 when in full production). This bass is a fantastic introduction to the world of higher-end Alembics. If I didn't have a Series 1 already, I'd be taking this

I recently bought a bass in from the States - just remember that you'll have to pay import tax and VAT on the purchase price!! To reduce this you could say that the bass cost less than it actually did - however if the package is insured and goes missing you can only claim for the alleged price!

Nice bass though...

• 5 weeks later...