Why become a member? ×

Barefaced Vintage

Finbar

[quote name='Clarky' post='883530' date='Jul 1 2010, 11:11 PM']I'm too scared to take off grill cloth in case I screw something up! There's no dial on the back if thats a clue. I bought if off Doctorbass - he didn't mention a tweeter. However, I thought the Vintage was a 2x15 plain and simple, ie, no tweeter option????[/quote]

The tweeter option is recent so it probably wont be. Shall we leave Finbars thread alone now? ^_^ Congrats anyway!!

[quote name='MythSte' post='883533' date='Jul 1 2010, 11:17 PM']The tweeter option is recent so it probably wont be. Shall we leave Finbars thread alone now? ^_^ Congrats anyway!![/quote]
Thanks! Well we have succeeded in bumping this FS ad to the top of the page :)

[quote name='Wil' post='887142' date='Jul 6 2010, 11:48 AM']How does this thing compare to the 1212L in terms of punch and volume? Can it do "punchy" or is it more a warm, wooooooomfy (for want of a better made up word) thing?[/quote]
Having never heard a 1212L, I can't make comparisons, but I can do made-up words until the cows come home. :)

IME with my Vintage, it's got everything from woooooooommmfff to tttttttt, with loads of bmmmmmmmmm, grrrrrrrrrrr and fllllllllll in the middle (the fllllllllll makes it awesome for fretless). Depending on the room, it can get a bit [i]too[/i] bmmmmmmmmm-y, but it's easily tamed with EQ. It doesn't do tssssssssssst unless you get a tweetered one, but unless you want that Marcus-Miller-type sparkle, it's got all the top you need. [i]Sweet[/i] highs (cuts off around 4 kHZ, IIRC) rather than vicious highs. The mids are punchtacular.

As for volume, again I can't compare with the 1212L, but I'll say this: on my LMII (500W max), with the input gain around 12 o'clock, I can't get the master volume beyond around 11 or 12 o'clock while remaining in the same room. It would be literally painful to take it any higher. And the speakers just lap it up and beg for more. It's a bit weird, really, how much volume it can deliver while remaining clean. It's... er... volumeriffic.

Coolio. I do really like the form factor of these cabs, so providing they can provide adaquate volume and midrange from a 300 watt head to keep up with a really loud band I might well be interested... I always turn tweeters off so I'm not after tsssssssssssssst, but I do like a fair bit of grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

The thing about the 1212L is its so sensitive I can get really loud with 300 watts, the only thing I'm worried about with this is I've heard the compact for instance needs a lot of juice to hit the same sort of SPL levels.

Of course, the main question I have is - is it still for sale?

Edited by Wil

[quote name='Wil' post='887177' date='Jul 6 2010, 12:26 PM']Coolio. I do really like the form factor of these cabs, so providing they can provide adaquate volume and midrange from a 300 watt head to keep up with a really loud band I might well be interested... I always turn tweeters off so I'm not after tsssssssssssssst, but I do like a fair bit of grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

The thing about the 1212L is its so sensitive I can get really loud with 300 watts, the only thing I'm worried about with this is I've heard the compact for instance needs a lot of juice to hit the same sort of SPL levels.[/quote]
I'm sure I've seen Alex write somewhere that the Compact and the Vintage are whole different beasts in terms of the juice they need. Summat to do with box volume, porting and voodoo, I think. (Don't forget your virgin's blood when plugging in.)

I've tried the Vintage with an old 150W Carlsbro head, and that was incredibly loud too. It's a [b]really[/b] sensitive cab. 300W should be plenty. [i]Plenty[/i] plenty.

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='887212' date='Jul 6 2010, 12:50 PM']I'm sure I've seen Alex write somewhere that the Compact and the Vintage are whole different beasts in terms of the juice they need. Summat to do with box volume, porting and voodoo, I think. (Don't forget your virgin's blood when plugging in.)

I've tried the Vintage with an old 150W Carlsbro head, and that was incredibly loud too. It's a [b]really[/b] sensitive cab. 300W should be plenty. [i]Plenty[/i] plenty.[/quote]

I play mine through a 100 watt valve head and im easily (A third volume, maybe less?) keeping up with a monster drummer and 2 vox ac30s that are set to "kill" all the time. Really, I think you could probably get giggable volume with an ashdown little bastard 30 watt if you really wanted too. In fact, there's an idea...! :)

[quote name='MythSte' post='887550' date='Jul 6 2010, 05:25 PM']Really, I think you could probably get giggable volume with an ashdown little bastard 30 watt if you really wanted too. In fact, there's an idea...! :)[/quote]
I think sk8's doing exactly that. (Not with a Barefaced cab though.)

In fact, anyone interested in Tone (I hope finbar wont mind!) can click on "The Locals" in my sig and the first track, Driftin, is recorded with my twin valve and barefaced. This is using a passive jazz so pretty much a staple tone IMO.

This is pending payment and collection tomorrow actually, I'm really bad at keeping these threads updated ¬_¬

But for the sake of the conversation, I'd say that this thing will go loud and take what you throw at it, but in direct comparison to a 1212L, it isn't as sensitive. Doesn't mean it won't get to the desired volume by any means, just takes a bit more amp juice to do so IME.

[quote name='Finbar' post='887889' date='Jul 6 2010, 10:52 PM']in direct comparison to a 1212L, it isn't as sensitive. Doesn't mean it won't get to the desired volume by any means, just takes a bit more amp juice to do so IME.[/quote]
We stand corrected! See, this is what I like about Basschat. There are so many people here that there's almost always [i]someone[/i] who's had the opportunity to compare two particular things. :)

Good news on the sale too!

It's not that the Vintage isn't sensitive, just that the 1212L is SUPER sensitive. If you can cope with the characteristic tone of the 1212L, it has several major plus points in its favour IMO.

Anyway yes, Lee came to pick this up today, nice man, now one cab richer.

SOLD.