Why become a member? ×

Interesting looking Fender

kevbass

Probbably a bit of a marmite bass, I know it would be disliked by the traditional fender heads, but I think it looks quite smart

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-HM-5-String-Electric-Bass-Guitar_W0QQitemZ260182883424QQihZ016QQcategoryZ4713QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-HM-5-String-E...1QQcmdZViewItem[/url]

[quote name='andy67' post='91334' date='Nov 20 2007, 11:16 AM']apparently the 'HM' stands for heavey metal!

my source also tells me that they are not very good! also the jp90...is the jp bit not japan?[/quote]

Pretty good - a US made Fender Lyte-alike for £220 .. but I'd fit a different scratchplate. Something that went down onto the lower horn.

[quote name='andy67' post='91334' date='Nov 20 2007, 11:16 AM']apparently the 'HM' stands for heavey metal!

my source also tells me that they are not very good! also the jp90...is the jp bit not japan?[/quote]

Had one until recently. Sounded and looked (white body/black guard) very good. Kinda sorry I sold it now: good, although "budget" US made Fender. Sold it for less than it was subjectively "worth", IMO. The JP probably stood for Jazz/Precision, as it was US Made.

There was a known problem with the truss rod and mine was bit stiff but still OK. A lot of them bowed. Ultra-thin necks, you see. Probably a prototype for many of the later Fenders or, at least, they learned a lot of lesson.

• 2 weeks later...

Well we'll find out now as I bought it....... (and I'm not telling you how much I got it for !!!! :) )

What I have found out though is that according to the blue book the 5 strings were CIJ, but this is definately a US made beast. It has a low serial number too so I'm going to email Fender see if they can tell me anymore.....

It will need soem work doing.. The nut is playable but willl need replacing. The frets wil lbe dressed and levelled although they aren't that bad.

Several bits of corrosion are being sorted, and although I will keep the plastic bucket type knobs I'm going to put black metal ones on.

It all seems to be pretty authentic, and it has been played a bit, but not abused.

As to sound, I have no idea yet as the strings were knacked and it was filthy so it currently being stripped and when the new bits arrive I'll re -string it and set it up.

The neck is devine......

Oh and Andy if your source has any more "not very good" recommendations, please let me know...... :huh:

Does he pick out horses or lottery numbers?

Bob.

[quote name='The Burpster' post='97401' date='Dec 1 2007, 08:50 PM']Well we'll find out now as I bought it....... (and I'm not telling you how much I got it for !!!! :huh: )

What I have found out though is that according to the blue book the 5 strings were CIJ, but this is definately a US made beast. It has a low serial number too so I'm going to email Fender see if they can tell me anymore.....

It will need soem work doing.. The nut is playable but willl need replacing. The frets wil lbe dressed and levelled although they aren't that bad.

Several bits of corrosion are being sorted, and although I will keep the plastic bucket type knobs I'm going to put black metal ones on.

It all seems to be pretty authentic, and it has been played a bit, but not abused.

As to sound, I have no idea yet as the strings were knacked and it was filthy so it currently being stripped and when the new bits arrive I'll re -string it and set it up.

The neck is devine......

Oh and Andy if your source has any more "not very good" recommendations, please let me know...... :huh:

Does he pick out horses or lottery numbers?

Bob.[/quote]

I certainly will burpster...however horses for courses! enjoy....no tips no lottery numbers :) :huh: