Why become a member? ×

Is there a Vintage bass expert on the site?

Grand Wazoo

I would like to fit a thumb rest to my 51 Reissue Precision bass, but unlike the other one I have I want the thumb rest to go over the E string and not below the G one

here is the comparison between the 2 basses

However I would like to fit this new thumb rest which Guy Lewis made as a special order for me out of maple which has been aged and tinted to match the fingerboard

[url="http://www.bassguitarthumbrests.com"]Guy Lewis Thumb Rests[/url]

so instead of having it on this side

I would like to fit it on the opposite side as in this pic with a very rough sketch

Is there anyone that has a template or an idea of where I should place it allow me to rest my thumb over it so I can anchor it as I play with my index and middle finger over the pickup and comfortably close as possible to the neck for those more mellow tones?

Thanking you all in advance if you can provide some indications. Also what is the best way to drill the 2 screw holes both in the pickguard and on the body without causing a a horrible mess?

Cheers

Edited by Grand Wazoo

I would, personally, use some double sided tape and play with the position until you find where it's most comfortable [i]for you[/i]. Everybody plays in a different way, so finding the right position is a personal thing.

Once you have a position, I would mark the pickguard, remove it from the bass and drill clearance holes. Once that's done, reattach the pickguard and mark the body before finally drilling tapping holes in the body. Both should be possible with a small hand drill and a few drill bits.

Hope that helps!

Edited by ~tl

When they moved the rest in the 70's, they put it here on the Precision of the time...

[url="http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t180/imzadi-7/75Precisionpk.jpg?t=1240591643"%5dhttp://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t180/im...pg?t=1240591643"]http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t180/im...pg?t=1240591643[/url]

Apparently, the tug bar became a thumb rest around 1974.

Edited by OutToPlayJazz

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='823489' date='Apr 29 2010, 10:30 PM']When they moved the rest in the 70's, they put it here on the Precision of the time...

[url="http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t180/imzadi-7/75Precisionpk.jpg?t=1240591643"%5dhttp://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t180/im...pg?t=1240591643"]http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t180/im...pg?t=1240591643[/url][/quote]

That is EXACTLY where I would like to fit mine. I will use that pic as a reference, thanks OTPJ

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='823503' date='Apr 29 2010, 10:38 PM']You're welcome, GW - I find the early Fender history fascinating. I have a lovely reference book called, "The Fender Bass - An Illustrated History" by Black & Molinaro.[/quote]

Yeah got that one. Cheers good book :)

I fitted mine where it feels right for me & my playing style - it's also from Guy Lewis, Maple single hole, aged my way :)[attachment=48629:__51_P_bass_008.jpg]

Edited by KiOgon

[quote name='KiOgon' post='823593' date='Apr 30 2010, 12:14 AM']I fitted mine where it feels right for me & my playing style - it's also from Guy Lewis, Maple single hole, aged my way :lol:[attachment=48629:__51_P_bass_008.jpg][/quote]

You won't believe this, geezer, but I have used some double sided tape and spent the last hour trying lots of different positions [b][font="Century Gothic"][size=1][i](oohh matron!! :) :rolleyes: )[/i][/size][/font][/b] and when I have found the one that is most comfortable for me, I came back here to show the pictures and noticed your post showing that the position you have fitted yours is exactly the same I have found to be the most comfortable!! What a coincidence :lol: It doesn't get in the way of slapping and it allows you to pluck the E string without knocking your fingers against the thumb rest.

look!!

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' date='Apr 30 2010, 02:29 AM' post='823643']
You won't believe this, geezer, but I have used some double sided tape and spent the last hour trying lots of different positions [b][font="Century Gothic"][size=1][i](oohh matron!! :) :rolleyes: )[/i][/size][/font][/b] and when I have found the one that is most comfortable for me, I came back here to show the pictures and noticed your post showing that the position you have fitted yours is exactly the same I have found to be the most comfortable!! What a coincidence :lol: It doesn't get in the way of slapping and it allows you to pluck the E string without knocking your fingers against the thumb rest.

look!!

Glad to see someone who doesn't mind drilling a couple of holes into their guitar to make it better for them. I winder we can get too precious about them, thinking more about the next owner than actually using them ourselves.

[quote name='4 Strings' post='824167' date='Apr 30 2010, 03:52 PM']Glad to see someone who doesn't mind drilling a couple of holes into their guitar to make it better for them. I winder we can get too precious about them, thinking more about the next owner than actually using them ourselves.[/quote]

Well admittedly at the moment I haven't screwed it in yet as I have been trying to find the ideal spot so it's still holding with double sided tape, but yeah I am not fussed, soon as I get home I'll get the old drill out a 2ml drill bit and hey presto. :)

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='823643' date='Apr 30 2010, 02:29 AM']You won't believe this, geezer, but I have used some double sided tape and spent the last hour trying lots of different positions [b][font="Century Gothic"][size=1][i](oohh matron!! :) :rolleyes: )[/i][/size][/font][/b] and when I have found the one that is most comfortable for me, I came back here to show the pictures and noticed your post showing that the position you have fitted yours is exactly the same I have found to be the most comfortable!! What a coincidence :lol: It doesn't get in the way of slapping and it allows you to pluck the E string without knocking your fingers against the thumb rest.

look!!

[/quote]

Great minds - - - it must be comfortable 'cos I fitted my '51P bass first, then did the same process of 'where's it best' on my Frank Bello & ended up in almost exactly the same place.

One word -(several actually)- of advice when drilling the holes, mark the spots on a piece of masking tape on the pickguard & drill a small (1.5mm) pilot hole through just into the wood. Remove the pickguard & open up the hole in the pickguard to a screw clearance size, (probably 3mm). Enlarge the body drilling to a suitable size for the screws to get a grip, (probably 2mm) then open up the start of that hole, like a countersink, with a 3.5 or 4mm just twisted in your fingers, just to take the finish away from the edge of the hole, it stops cracks in the laquer forming when you fit the screws. Before re-fitting the pickguard make sure the holes in that are de-burred so it doesn't scratch anywhere.

HTH,

John

Edited by KiOgon

[quote name='KiOgon' post='824330' date='Apr 30 2010, 07:35 PM']Great minds - - - it must be comfortable 'cos I fitted my '51P bass first, then did the same process of 'where's it best' on my Frank Bello & ended up in almost exactly the same place.

One word -(several actually)- of advice when drilling the holes, mark the spots on a piece of masking tape on the pickguard & drill a small (1.5mm) pilot hole through just into the wood. Remove the pickguard & open up the hole in the pickguard to a screw clearance size, (probably 3mm). Enlarge the body drilling to a suitable size for the screws to get a grip, (probably 2mm) then open up the start of that hole, like a countersink, with a 3.5 or 4mm just twisted in your fingers, just to take the finish away from the edge of the hole, it stops cracks in the laquer forming when you fit the screws. Before re-fitting the pickguard make sure the holes in that are de-burred so it doesn't scratch anywhere.

HTH,

John[/quote]

Thanks for the valuble tips John, I have followed them to the letter and actually I am quite content with myself for having done a very tidy job, all the holes we countersank causing no lacquer cracks at all. With 3 different size drill bits, 1.5mm / 2mm / 3mm I went from the smallest to the largest and finally when I put it all back together it ended up being both functional and appealing to the eyes.