Why become a member? ×

ric o sound

lojo

OK, I am starting to get to grips with and enjoy my Ric, still struggling with the fact its got 1 more knob than anything ive owned before, and Ive never had a switch!

So just wondering does anyone use the ric o sound, if so how and what does it do for you?

[quote name='lojo' post='821957' date='Apr 28 2010, 02:35 PM']OK, I am starting to get to grips with and enjoy my Ric, still struggling with the fact its got 1 more knob than anything ive owned before, and Ive never had a switch!

So just wondering does anyone use the ric o sound, if so how and what does it do for you?[/quote]

I did experiment with it for a while but in my music it wasn't really useful. TBH there are easier ways of getting the same effect than having two cables running from your bass and doubling up on amps.

Chris

[quote name='Beedster' post='821961' date='Apr 28 2010, 02:38 PM']I did experiment with it for a while but in my music it wasn't really useful. TBH there are easier ways of getting the same effect than having two cables running from your bass and doubling up on amps.

Chris[/quote]

Cheers, yeah i cant see it doing anything for me, just wondering if anyone does, maybe have a bit of fun messing with it one day perhaps

"Ric o sound" just provides a method for splitting the signals from the different pickups so that you can send them to different amplifiers or FX chains.

It uses a stereo jack socket on the bass into which you plug a "Y-cable" which has a stereo jack plug at the bass end and splits into two separate mono jacks at the other end. This enables you to plug each of the mono jacks into a different amp, or into a different EQ or FX setup, thus optimising the amp/FX for each pickup.

This could allow you, for example, to setup a really bright amp EQ for the bridge pickup and a much deeper amp EQ for the neck pickup to emphasise the difference in the pickup sounds.

I modded my Statii for 2 outputs - ran that way for years.

You can get really close with signal splitters etc, but if you can put up with carting 2 rigs then it really does sound better as you have no compromises in EQ. Run the neck pickup with no treble, touch of compression and nowt else so the bottom is always fat and clear. The other goes into all your FX - compression as well to make sure the 2 sounds are properly mixed all the time.

When I ran the "Rig of Doom V2" I actually split each side into 2... so 4 concurrent sounds were possible. Clean, mid drives, treble drives, modulation/synth

Think "Muse" with double the girth!! :rolleyes:

My back won't let me do that anymore. :)

[quote name='Beedster' post='821986' date='Apr 28 2010, 02:55 PM']I imagine your bank account found it quite stressful also :)[/quote]

You are not wrong!!

Rig of Doom V1 was relatively cheap - Hartke HA3500 and Ashdown MAG400 heads and a couple of Marshall VBC 4x12 cabs. + a few pedals. Whole lot could be done for under a £1000 on ebay

V2 was into separate Ampeg Preamps, POD Pro XTs, big ass poweramps, stupid foot controllers... 2600 Watts...

Now I have a TecAmp S210 and a Mark Bass F1 !!!! :rolleyes: (and an Ampeg B5R which I can;t quite bring myself to sell)