Why become a member? ×

Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 210T

farmer61

Just tried this and the Mark Bass Rocker at Bass Direct in Warwick.

Really liked the GB, loud with a wide range of tones available, the Mark Bass seemed a bit muddy for my liking.

I play in a pub covers band playing a variety of Indie, Punk etc and am looking for some lightweight gear, this seems to fit the bill, but would welcome the thoughts of anyone actually using the the stuff.

Cheers

Personally, the Shuttle 6.0 lacks it for me, and so did the 9.0. Thats just me though. Some players love the totally crisp Genz sound. It seemed less full than I was used to in the low end.

I prefer the more warm full tone of the Mark Bass amps....how was the 'distortion' on the LM Rocker?

[quote name='Musicman20' post='821990' date='Apr 28 2010, 02:58 PM']Personally, the Shuttle 6.0 lacks it for me, and so did the 9.0. Thats just me though. Some players love the totally crisp Genz sound. It seemed less full than I was used to in the low end.

I prefer the more warm full tone of the Mark Bass amps....how was the 'distortion' on the LM Rocker?[/quote]

I'd agree about the Genz not having much low end on the flat EQ setting, but a few notches of the LF EQ sorts that right out. It's the old MB vs GB debate... each to their own.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='821990' date='Apr 28 2010, 02:58 PM']I prefer the more warm full tone of the Mark Bass amps....how was the 'distortion' on the LM Rocker?[/quote]

TBH didn't try the MB for long tbh, just didn't seem right, am going back when I have more time to line 'em up and compare better. Got some good overdriven tones out of the MB, but didn't feel that the clarity was there on any of the settings I used, but again it was only a quick tryout.

The GB seemed easier to get the tone / variety of tone that I need.

[quote name='farmer61' post='822017' date='Apr 28 2010, 03:11 PM']TBH didn't try the MB for long tbh, just didn't seem right, am going back when I have more time to line 'em up and compare better. Got some good overdriven tones out of the MB, but didn't feel that the clarity was there on any of the settings I used, but again it was only a quick tryout.

The GB seemed easier to get the tone / variety of tone that I need.[/quote]

Ah, it seems from your test the Genz might be for you :) They are super crisp and clear.

Can't comment on the Markbass, but I've had the GB 6.0 for over a year and absolutely love it. Admittedly I'm not one for much bottom end, but it certainly does what I need, plus I can carry my whole rig in one go if I have to. I would, and hopefully will, buy a second one as backup at some stage.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='821990' date='Apr 28 2010, 02:58 PM']Personally, the Shuttle 6.0 lacks it for me, and so did the 9.0. Thats just me though. Some players love the totally crisp Genz sound. It seemed less full than I was used to in the low end.

I prefer the more warm full tone of the Mark Bass amps[/quote]+1

I love my GB Shuttle 9.0 - it's tiny but mighty and while I know the MB stuff does a great job and is super loud the GB sound is just a bit smoother and can match any sound you want, there are loads of options for boosting the lows, mids or highs to suit your style - though it is most certainly a hi-fi sound and not your dirty Orange grunger... nothing wrong with that sound either :) - personally I love the clarity of the GB gear and I've been following the Shuttle 9.0 thread over on Talkbass and one guy there tried it against an Ampeg head through an 8x10 cab and reportedly said it 'slayed' the Ampeg - it's a seriously sick little box that can chuck out vast amounts of power + volume - and work well with vintage or modern gear - GB might not have the slick marketing machine behind them that MB does but their gear is first class.

I've owned Eden/Nemesis, EBS and Epifani heads and the GB 9 came out on top for me.

As ever though each to their own... :rolleyes:

Mike