Why become a member? ×

Music in weird time signatures

Ajrt

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='818143' date='Apr 25 2010, 04:04 PM']One of the most interesting ones is "America" from West Side Story. It's marked at the beginning of the piece 6/8:3/4, meaning that the whole piece consists of one bar of 6/8 followed by one bar of 3/4 over and over again.[/quote]

I had to play this in a show and no one, not even the MD or drummer could get it. I had to stand up in the end at a pre show rehearsal and teach a stage full of kids, a pianist and a drummer. La-La-La-La-La Me-ri-ca. Took a few minutes but sounded really good. I don't think I'll ever forget that experience.

The opening track on the current Steve Vai DVD is in 25/32!!!

The Mike Keneally song 'Choosing to Drown' is in 17/16

Both tracks have Bryan Beller on bass. Coincidence?? No-he's ace.

Edited by Doddy

[quote name='TimR' post='818623' date='Apr 25 2010, 10:55 PM']I had to stand up in the end at a pre show rehearsal and teach a stage full of kids, a pianist and a drummer. La-La-La-La-La Me-ri-ca. Took a few minutes but sounded really good. I don't think I'll ever forget that experience.[/quote]

You missed out a La..
Or was it a 5/8 3/4 version of America. :)

Sorry i will get my coat.

Garry

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='818695' date='Apr 25 2010, 11:41 PM']I forgot the most impressive one!

Bela Fleck and the Flecktones did their own version of the "Twelve days of Christmas" the other year... It starts with 1 in a bar, increasing by a beat per day up to 12/8 time for the twelfth day. Oh, and it goes up a semitone each day as well![/quote]

Wynton Marsalis did a similar thing on his version of 'Autumn Leaves' on 'Marsalis Standard Time vol.1" The first
8 bars increase by a quaver each time until it's in full swing.

And yes... 'The Bill' theme tune is in 7.