Why become a member? ×

Ibanez Sure grip knobs

Dave Vader

Does anyone out there know if it's true that these old knobs go for loads on ebay? You remember them, looked like gibson top hats, but with elastic bands round them? I heard somewhere that a set went for $100 on ebay, and there's a bloke in the USA selling them for that as well. On buy it now!
I only ask cos somewhere in my house are 3 that I took off my old SB-70 guitar a long time ago, cos I preferred the weird ones I took off a teisco instead, and I'd rather have money than original 1982 Ibanez knobs if it's all the same.

Yes - they do. I've currently got a 1981 Ibanez Musician guitar I'm restoring, and it's missing a lot of its original parts - 4x Sure-Grip 1s, Gibraltar bridge, Quik-Change tailpiece, brass trc and Velve-Tune tuners.

So I've been pricing parts up - on Ebay I'd pay more for a set of plastic knobs than I did for the bloody guitar!

How much do you want for your SG1s, then? :) Serious question, btw.

Jon.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='815239' date='Apr 22 2010, 05:32 PM']Yes - they do. I've currently got a 1981 Ibanez Musician guitar I'm restoring, and it's missing a lot of its original parts - 4x Sure-Grip 1s, Gibraltar bridge, Quik-Change tailpiece, brass trc and Velve-Tune tuners.

So I've been pricing parts up - on Ebay I'd pay more for a set of plastic knobs than I did for the bloody guitar!

How much do you want for your SG1s, then? :) Serious question, btw.

Jon.[/quote]
Now there's an interesting question, I'll have a look and get back to you. Seriously though, there was another guy on ebay selling knobs that look identical, they're not original, but they're only a fiver a set.

Except it's gone now...
I can still see this one, it's not the same as mine, but it is a sure grip, and it is cheaper.
[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/IBANEZ-Sure-Grip-2-Genuine-Control-Knob-fits-Artist-etc_W0QQitemZ200433699922QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Guitar_Accessories?hash=item2eaac78c52"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/IBANEZ-Sure-Grip-2-G...=item2eaac78c52[/url]

Seriously, I'll have a think, and send you a pic of them, they're not mint by a long shot.

[quote name='Dave Vader' post='815776' date='Apr 23 2010, 09:08 AM']Now there's an interesting question, I'll have a look and get back to you. Seriously though, there was another guy on ebay selling knobs that look identical, they're not original, but they're only a fiver a set.

Except it's gone now...
I can still see this one, it's not the same as mine, but it is a sure grip, and it is cheaper.
[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/IBANEZ-Sure-Grip-2-Genuine-Control-Knob-fits-Artist-etc_W0QQitemZ200433699922QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Guitar_Accessories?hash=item2eaac78c52"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/IBANEZ-Sure-Grip-2-G...=item2eaac78c52[/url]

Seriously, I'll have a think, and send you a pic of them, they're not mint by a long shot.[/quote]
Cheers for the link to the SG2s - these aren't correct for my Musician but it's interesting that they're available at a reasonable(ish) price.

As far as this guitar's concerned, if I can get the "proper" knobs for cheap, then I'll do it but I'm not too much of a stickler for detail! I'll probably just stick a set of speed knobs on & be done with it!

Wish I'd seen the £5-a-set ones - I'd buy a bunch and sell them as repros, like [url="http://www.reproguitarparts.com/"]this guy in the States[/url] does! :)

J.

I wish I'd seen those pickup ring adapters before I drilled my old ones to take dimarzios....

One of the bands is snapped, will need a bit of glue, and the inside of one is chipped, stays on the pot though. Only got 3, and you need 4, I was hoping to rip off some unsuspecting muppet with them, but I hate to see a fellow in need. Will post pics, when I get a camera...

[quote name='Dave Vader' post='816080' date='Apr 23 2010, 12:29 PM']I wish I'd seen those pickup ring adapters before I drilled my old ones to take dimarzios....

One of the bands is snapped, will need a bit of glue, and the inside of one is chipped, stays on the pot though. Only got 3, and you need 4, I was hoping to rip off some unsuspecting muppet with them, but I hate to see a fellow in need. Will post pics, when I get a camera...[/quote]
If you think you can profiteer on them - go for it! I would... :)

Like I say, I'll be happy just to stick a set of speed knobs on it & leave the genuine vintage stuff to "proper" collectors. I have already spent a few quid on it - a repro trc & reissue tailpiece - and that's probabley enough for the time being!

TBH I'm not even sure the guitar I have (an MC150 from 1981) should even have Sure-Grips - this version was only available for 1 year and the only pics I can find are grainy catalogue ones. Some Ibbys from this era didn't have SGs & mine might be one of 'em.

Jon.

Tell you what, I'm going to throw them to the ebay lions, I'll send you the link to the auction when they're up, and when they end up going for 2 quid (like these things always do for me) you'll be quids in. I'd hate to auction them cheap and you miss out, but I would like to get something for nothing as well. What do you reckon? It'll be a 99p no reserve job.

[quote name='Dave Vader' post='816247' date='Apr 23 2010, 02:14 PM']Tell you what, I'm going to throw them to the ebay lions, I'll send you the link to the auction when they're up, and when they end up going for 2 quid (like these things always do for me) you'll be quids in. I'd hate to auction them cheap and you miss out, but I would like to get something for nothing as well. What do you reckon? It'll be a 99p no reserve job.[/quote]
Sounds like a plan - I'll definitely stick a (cheapskate lowball!) bid on. :)

J.

[quote name='Dave Vader' post='815167' date='Apr 22 2010, 03:43 PM']Does anyone out there know if it's true that these old knobs go for loads on ebay? You remember them, looked like gibson top hats, but with elastic bands round them?[/quote]

Had three, and sold each for £15 - and that was around two years ago.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130357707149&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT[/url]

Yeah, sounds pretty good, check out the american ebay link guy! I can't believe these will sell, so I am watching them avidly.

[quote name='Dave Vader' post='817191' date='Apr 24 2010, 02:17 PM'][url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130357707149&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT[/url]

Yeah, sounds pretty good, check out the american ebay link guy! I can't believe these will sell, so I am watching them avidly.[/quote]
That's what I mean - it's completely mental!

I only paid £95 for the guitar! :)

J.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='815239' date='Apr 22 2010, 06:32 PM']Yes - they do. I've currently got a 1981 Ibanez Musician guitar I'm restoring, and it's missing a lot of its original parts - 4x Sure-Grip 1s, Gibraltar bridge, Quik-Change tailpiece, brass trc and Velve-Tune tuners.[/quote]

Are you sure that's a Musician you're describing here? Other than the 8-string MC980, there were no Musicians with separate bridge and tailpiece and I don't think there has ever been any Musician with more than 3 Sure Grip knobs. The EQ knobs have always been smaller plastic knobs without the rubber.

EDIT: Oh wait, completely missed the word [b]guitar[/b] there :rolleyes:
Nevermind. Carry on as you were :)

Edited by LeftyJ

[quote name='LeftyJ' post='819723' date='Apr 26 2010, 05:59 PM']Are you sure that's a Musician you're describing here? Other than the 8-string MC980, there were no Musicians with separate bridge and tailpiece and I don't think there has ever been any Musician with more than 3 Sure Grip knobs. The EQ knobs have always been smaller plastic knobs without the rubber.

EDIT: Oh wait, completely missed the word [b]guitar[/b] there :lol:
Nevermind. Carry on as you were :)[/quote]
Full marks for observation! :lol: Yep - it's a silly little toy one, an MC150 to be precise. No wonder it was cheap! :rolleyes:

J.