Why become a member? ×

Finally got round to posting

Dave Vader

Hello, been lurking for ages on here, thought it was about time I posted and said hello.
Been playing for years, mostly just dabbled on bass until about 3 years ago when the call hit me as I was standing in for a mate, as their bass player wasn't around, felt the low end through my knees, and have barely touched a guitar, keyboard, banjo or mandolin since.

Playing in 3 bands at the moment, in the hopes that they will supplement my meagre income, just about works. Difficult to do down here in deepest darkest Devon as well.
Steadfastly standing by my Sunn Mustang as well, played and own other, apparently better basses, but that one just keeps sounding and feeling better. Knowing that this is a british site, there'll be more people who know what I'm talking about here (in regards to my Mustang) than on that other bass site, I've been known to hang out on.
Anyhow, hello, I am the master of the very cheap gear.

Sunn Mustang P-copy, had it since 1989 on and off, quite a few changes here and there, still my main bass, love it. Oh, and my GK backline 600 and ancient Laney PA cabs.

Tokai Rockinbetter, with seymour duncan humbuckers and a hipshot bridge, never before posted pic, only shot of it with the hipshot.

The mighty Dave bass, 1983 Ibanez roadstar bean bass, with a generic P-neck from ebay, and a pair of Kent Armstrong soapbars in it, had to do a bit of routing to get it to work, and I never did finish that refinish either.

Jazz fretless, made of many, many cheap bits I got here and there. Still on phase 2, phase 3 may never happen, constant project bass.

And here's me with my collection stacked in the living room during the recent freezing weather. Had to come in from the garage/studio for a week or two, how happy was the wife?

[quote name='Marvin' post='814223' date='Apr 21 2010, 08:31 PM']Welcome.

Devon you say. I'd guess North Devon.

What bands are you in may be able to catch you playing some time.[/quote]
Now you may have me, formerly a Bideford lad, now in Mid-Devon, hatherleigh to be precise. Playing in Spaced Invaders (80s tribute band) sidmouth and exeter this weekend. Stand in for Revolving Door every now and then, also got a band with no name playing at a jam night tomorrow, and in Bude in May (need a name by then) and another one back home in Bideford in the pipeline hopefully. Busy busy...

[quote name='Marvin' post='814249' date='Apr 21 2010, 08:47 PM']You are busy.

I've heard of Space Invaders, I'll keep my eye out for your gigs.

I'm in Torrington, no bands though.

Cheers[/quote]

Ah, Torrington, good times, I used to play out the back of the Newmarket back in the 90s, many punk bands, plus the constant supply of sweet thangs gigs. I guess you know Big Al then?

[quote name='daz']Welcome to the forum dude. Love that Tokai Rik!![/quote]

Thanks, I just put flats on it to see if it can cut through properly, if not there might be a chance for someone else to get their hands on it.

[quote name='Dave Vader' post='814258' date='Apr 21 2010, 08:52 PM']Ah, Torrington, good times, I used to play out the back of the Newmarket back in the 90s, many punk bands, plus the constant supply of sweet thangs gigs. I guess you know Big Al then?[/quote]

Now your talking some good times, I think we all used to live in the back of the Newmarket. Sweet Thangs gigs were brilliant and Al is probably an institution. I occasionally see Chris, the guy who used to play bass for the Sweet Thangs. I'm assuming you used to go to The Anchor in Westward Ho! as well. Saw some good bands there. I've probably met you in passing.

Good times indeed. :)

Good to see more Banjoists around. I've only had the thing for 2 years, and I'm still getting my head round the highest note being under my thumb. Thanks all.

Oh and Marvin, yeah, I was at the Anchor every weekend back in the day, played there more than once as well, in the Radioactive Flowerpots (I know, we were young) and Fatal Aura I think, back when I was still at school. I reckon we must have at least seen each other across the haze of smoke.

[quote name='Dave Vader' post='814637' date='Apr 22 2010, 09:01 AM']I reckon we must have at least seen each other across the haze of smoke.[/quote]

Haze of smoke? I can't imagine what you mean by that. :lol: :rolleyes:

Oh, unless of course you mean when they used to open the fire exit doors at the Anchor and all the 'steam' billowed out, always looked like it was on fire.

Enjoy the forum, I'm officially an addict. :)

[quote name='Marvin' post='815275' date='Apr 22 2010, 06:12 PM']Haze of smoke? I can't imagine what you mean by that. :lol: :rolleyes:

Oh, unless of course you mean when they used to open the fire exit doors at the Anchor and all the 'steam' billowed out, always looked like it was on fire.

Enjoy the forum, I'm officially an addict. :)[/quote]

Yeah, I remember falling out in that "steam" and lying in a puddle to cool off, good times.

And it's already replaced that "other" bass forum as the first place I come to waste time at work.