Why become a member? ×

Would love to try a Fender Aerodyne

alhbass

Hello.

I'm contemplating drastic surgery on my 2009 US Jazz. Having always considered myself a Precision man, I've been kinda surprised to find myself liking this excellent instrument so much. Been trying to sell / trade it on and off for months now, but the longer I keep it, the less inclined I am to let it go...

I modified the last P-bass I had (a 2007 US Standard V) with the addition of a Seymour Duncan bridge Jazz pup, and was very happy with the results. Love the P-bass sound, but having the flexibility of mixing in some J-parp was just fantastic. And I pretty much vowed that from that point I'd always want to have that option on any P-bass I owned... But I never imagined I find myself using a Jazz as my main instrument.

So now I'm wondering whether going down the "aerodyne" route of putting a P-bass pickup onto a Jazz body would give me similarly satisfying results. I've never played an Aerodyne.

Was wondering whether there might be an Aerodyne-owning BC member in the area (I live in York) who'd be kind enough to let me have a go?

Failing that, I'd be interested to hear from anyone with experience of these instruments anyway...

Cheers.

I'm a Jazz bass man really but I like the Aerodynes. A mate who I shared a practice room with used to have one and it was lovely. Really well put together, looked awesome, big growly sound. Saw him play it for a few gigs and the tone was very big and bassy.

Although...if you already have a modded P bass you love (and a Jazz you seem to like) it could be argued this bass would be a bit pointless in your setup?

I dunno, it's not like I can talk with the amount of basses I have! :)

[quote name='alhbass' post='812272' date='Apr 20 2010, 09:50 AM']Hello.

I'm contemplating drastic surgery on my 2009 US Jazz. Having always considered myself a Precision man, I've been kinda surprised to find myself liking this excellent instrument so much. Been trying to sell / trade it on and off for months now, but the longer I keep it, the less inclined I am to let it go...

I modified the last P-bass I had (a 2007 US Standard V) with the addition of a Seymour Duncan bridge Jazz pup, and was very happy with the results. Love the P-bass sound, but having the flexibility of mixing in some J-parp was just fantastic. And I pretty much vowed that from that point I'd always want to have that option on any P-bass I owned... But I never imagined I find myself using a Jazz as my main instrument.

So now I'm wondering whether going down the "aerodyne" route of putting a P-bass pickup onto a Jazz body would give me similarly satisfying results. I've never played an Aerodyne.

Was wondering whether there might be an Aerodyne-owning BC member in the area (I live in York) who'd be kind enough to let me have a go?

Failing that, I'd be interested to hear from anyone with experience of these instruments anyway...

Cheers.[/quote]
Hi
I have an Aerodyne Jazz that you are welcome to come and try out!

I live in Leeds but very close to Junction 46 of M1 north, so easy to get here from York!
I also have Precision Lyte that you could try out.

Will.

[quote name='2x18' post='812898' date='Apr 20 2010, 07:13 PM']Hi
I have an Aerodyne Jazz that you are welcome to come and try out!

I live in Leeds but very close to Junction 46 of M1 north, so easy to get here from York!
I also have Precision Lyte that you could try out.

Will.[/quote]

PM'd

Edited by alhbass

[quote name='Soloshchenko' post='812847' date='Apr 20 2010, 06:14 PM']I'm a Jazz bass man really but I like the Aerodynes. A mate who I shared a practice room with used to have one and it was lovely. Really well put together, looked awesome, big growly sound. Saw him play it for a few gigs and the tone was very big and bassy.

Although...if you already have a modded P bass you love (and a Jazz you seem to like) it could be argued this bass would be a bit pointless in your setup?

I dunno, it's not like I can talk with the amount of basses I have! :)[/quote]

I sold the P-bass V I modified because I wanted to revert to playing a 4 string instrument.

Here's a pic (taken by it's subsequent owner - Old Horse Murphy).

[quote name='Gust0o' post='813633' date='Apr 21 2010, 12:01 PM']Was that the one you had for sale on here 2x18? Natural finish with the jack input moved?[/quote]

No I have never had one up for sale, it was somebody else selling that one but it was an Aerodyne Precision in natural.

Mine is a jazz in C.A.R. with the standard jazz control plate!

Will.

I have one, it's been my main playing bass for the last two years or so. My thoughts...

[b]Positives[/b]
Looks great - I've yet to find someone who doesn't love the look
Makes a good noise - I use the P pup only, with the tone full up
Plays well - Action could be lowered, but as I play heavyish rock on it with pick, I'm happy
Tuning is as solid as a rock, even being dragged from gig to practice in a cheap ritter gigbag in winter

[b]Negatives[/b]
No body contours - this is the big killer for most people who love the Aero... if you can't get comfy with it, it'll kill your right wrist in no time
Noise - mines hums a bit, but I assume this is just down to grounding/shielding

[b]Problems[/b]
Connecting wire to jack snapped - easily soldered back on
Plastic nut is now worn at A string position, so the string can slip out when giving it the beans

All in, i love mine. If you can get on with the lack of contouring it's a fantastic bass. I got mine during the Great Ishibashi Frenzy of 2007 when the Yen was broken, so it only owes me about £350, when they were selling for £620 in local emporia :rolleyes:

Hope you get a go on one and like it :)

D'oh! Wonder where I invented that one from then.

I remember speaking to someone about one they had for sale. No idea what happened to that one, but my brain has been a little shy this last few weeks - pre-wedding mania!

[quote name='2x18' post='813838' date='Apr 21 2010, 03:03 PM']No I have never had one up for sale, it was somebody else selling that one but it was an Aerodyne Precision in natural.

Mine is a jazz in C.A.R. with the standard jazz control plate!

Will.[/quote]