Why become a member? ×

CIJ bass tuners replacement

DavidSM

Hello,
I have a 1997 Crafted In Japan '57 Precision Bass that has the small mij tuners. They don't hold as well as the larger tuners on my other bass do, so I'd like to get these replaced by the larger '57 vintage reverse tuners. Has anybody in the forum done this? I suppose it's a common upgrade, but I believe I'll have to drill larger bushing holes... and maybe some of the fitting screw holes will be on view... If anybody has done this upgrade please let me know your experience and if you could post some pics it will be much appreciated.
D

I've carried out this operation on a few occasions - it's not a job I would recommend to anyone inexperienced.

The 57 style heads are well obtainable but the fitting should really be left to a luthier (or an experienced amateur like me!) :)

Edited by The Bass Doc

I've upgraded my '62 reissue. I had the work done by Jimmy Egypt at CC Music in Glasgow, I believe he reamed out the holes slightly and has drilled new screw holes. Fortunately all the old screw holes are hidden by the new base plates. IIRC it cost about £30 to have them fitted. In my opinion it's a worthwhile upgrade, since I found the stock tuners were a little loose. The reverse-wind Gotohs are the business, I would definitely recommend them. Doing it yourself would certainly be possible, but it's quite a tricky job. I would have attempted it myself if I had the tools, but Jimmy quoted me an excellent price, so I decided it would be better to leave it to an expert!

[quote name='neilb' post='811871' date='Apr 19 2010, 09:00 PM']So, did you have to enlarge the bush holes (matron!!)[/quote]

Routing out is the way to go. Fenders themselves aren't drilled, they're routed out to a template. It's a tricky job requiring a very steady hand.

In a very few cases the 'bush holes' can be enlarged if you have an expanding reamer (which I have - matron!!)

Not having had much experience modding basses, (I have modded guitar tuners in the past) why is a bass so much harder? Isn't it just a case of enlarging the holes to take the bigger bushings? Why does it need a router? Are they internally stepped or something?

[quote name='tom1946' post='814603' date='Apr 22 2010, 08:20 AM']Not having had much experience modding basses, (I have modded guitar tuners in the past) why is a bass so much harder? Isn't it just a case of enlarging the holes to take the bigger bushings? Why does it need a router? Are they internally stepped or something?[/quote]

Fender headstock holes are indeed stepped in a lot of cases but it's more to do with the fact that the larger holes will require opening in one direction rather than simply drilling out the existing small ones. That's to accomodate the larger backplates which would otherwise hang over the edge of the headstock.