Why become a member? ×

Fender standard jazz bass USA vs Marcus Miller signature

Ajrt

I'm thinking about getting a jazz bass in the summer. What are the differences between the marcus miller signature and the standard jazz bass? Your comments are valued (unless they feature the 'word' 'lol' or excessive smileys).

The MM is active for a start - and not a particularly good pre-amp judging by the one I tried a few years back. Are you talking about the US Standard - if so there is quite a lot of differences. The main ones being that US Standard has:

Passive electronics
High mass bridge
Through body stringing
Graphite re-inforced necks
Lightweight tuners
Typically an alder body (as opposed to Ash)
Comes with case

Edited by alanbass1

[quote name='alanbass1' post='810816' date='Apr 18 2010, 10:00 PM']The MM is active for a start - and not a particularly good pre-amp judging by the one I tried a few years back. Are you talking about the US Standard - if so there is quite a lot of differences. The main ones being that US Standard has:

Passive electronics
High mass bridge
Through body stringing
Graphite re-inforced necks
Lightweight tuners
Typically an alder body (as opposed to Ash)
Comes with case[/quote]
Thank you alanbass. Have you tried a standard USA jazz bass and which gets your vote

This is a tough one. The Marcus Miller (particularly in natural) is a stunning thing to behold. The fit and finish is exquisite on these and there are some lovely touches on them, such as vintage reverse tuners, bullet truss rod cap, etc. But the preamp lets the whole bass down. It's a very harsh sounding pre and not the most flexible around, either. The other downside to the MM is the lovely ash body. They can be heavier than a cruise ship's anchor, but obviously this will vary from bass to bass.

The American Standard has won everyone over since it's big makeover in early 2008. These instruments are lovely to play and although passive, seem to have really good quality pickups/shielding. The new high mass bridge and light weight hipshot tuners are all of excellent quality. They feel just right in the hands, too. The new thinner finish is prone to chipping, but many want that from a Jazz bass. Something that will mojoify over time. Another lovely quality instrument.

As with all mass produced instruments (Fenders especially), make sure you try before you buy. You'll always find some diamonds and some dogs around in all batches.

Hello!

I have tried both, But have tried the New american standard more because i own one, and judging on Mine, and my bass tutors MM J bass, The MM cuts through better, the sound is more penetrating, but the Jazz gives Less range in tones, but the tones it does give are the best tones ever.. My Jazz is alot more playable, due to the set up, so i guess i cant really compare the two that way,

LOL :lol::):lol::rolleyes::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

[quote name='aznbass' post='810897' date='Apr 18 2010, 11:13 PM']Hello!

I have tried both, But have tried the New american standard more because i own one, and judging on Mine, and my bass tutors MM J bass, The MM cuts through better, the sound is more penetrating, but the Jazz gives Less range in tones, but the tones it does give are the best tones ever.. My Jazz is alot more playable, due to the set up, so i guess i cant really compare the two that way,

LOL :lol::):lol::rolleyes::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:[/quote]

That was a fabulous read :P Did you go to the John Prescott school of English?!

I'm scared to say anything now.

I own both, I do prefer the Marcus Miller because it is more of a prominent, harder sound than the normal Jazz, which in comparison seems a bit 'fluffy' if that's the right word.

In terms of weight they are roughly the same. I do find myself reaching for the MM for church on Sunday though. Being active I'm not forever turning to the amp for more volume as it's easier to control from the bass.

Hope that helps.

The Miller is CIJ/MIJ.
It comes with a BadAssII bridge
The Truss rod adjusts from the headstock end
The neck is secured with 3 bolts
There's no passive tone control

IIRC, the eq bypass isn't particularly well implemented, but there's some good stuff on discreet mods to the system out there on the web.

Me? I tried one. It played well, but was too unrelentingly harsh for me, and you couldn't use the internal eq to remedy it.
I bought an Ash-bodied 2004 MIA Jazz with a Rosewood board. Whilst I didn't A/B it and the Miller, the Jazz was comfortably better than the Stingrays and some of the Warwicks on offer.

One tip if you DO get the Miller - Try some DR Marcus Miller FatBeams on it. I use them on other basses to good effect, and I've fitted some Sunbeams on the Jazz. Sounds Amazing now. So much clout- If you want it.

This probably isnt as helpful but i recently compared a MM jazz bass and an origional 1976 jazz bass. I personal preffered the tone and feel of the MM bass. The weird thing is though the MM didn't seem as versatile as the 1976 jazz but then thats probably because of the old strings that were on it. From what iv heard the American Standard seems to be a modern take of a 60's jazz bass. If you want both sounds, get the American Deluxe. The new ones with the bound necks look awsome to me.