Why become a member? ×

Pre-Amps

Randy_Marsh

[quote name='Randy_Marsh' post='809649' date='Apr 17 2010, 06:17 PM']Just got myself a new pre amp for my Warwick. I've been quoted £25 from my local music shop to fit it. I have no idea whether this is a good price or a terrible price... Some opinions would be good

Not too sure if this is the right section...[/quote]

Can you clarify what they are actually going to fit and into what, with what (i.e. power amp etc)! If it's a pre into a rack with a poweramp then I reckon a 'local' regular on here with a bit of nouse could do it for you for nowt... I would if you live my way! :)

:) Sorry I got the wrong end of the stick with regard to 'preamp'. I thought you meant a rackmount external jobbie.

Fitting a preamp isn't a huge job so long as you have comprehensive instructions it can be a relatively straightforward DIY job but if your soldering skills are below par or you've not done anything like it before then tbh £25 isn't a bad price for the job. It's actually probably 30 min job if you know what you are doing but most places would charge you an hours rate which would be about the £25 mark.

[quote]Fitting a preamp isn't a huge job so long as you have comprehensive instructions it can be a relatively straightforward DIY job but if your soldering skills are below par or you've not done anything like it before then tbh £25 isn't a bad price for the job. It's actually probably 30 min job if you know what you are doing but most places would charge you an hours rate which would be about the £25 mark.[/quote]

I have comprehensive instructions, but iv only soldered once... and that was in year 9 making a steel buffalo. So overall, this is a good price then? Unless someones fancies a crack at it?

£25 for a shop to do it is probably about right - it will take then at least 30 minutes to do the job. If you are competent with a soldering iron I'd say do it yourself - if not, don't even try. I picked up a bass once where someone had installed a Sadowsky pre-amp and they made such a bad job it ended up ruining it

[quote]£25 for a shop to do it is probably about right - it will take then at least 30 minutes to do the job. If you are competent with a soldering iron I'd say do it yourself - if not, don't even try. I picked up a bass once where someone had installed a Sadowsky pre-amp and they made such a bad job it ended up ruining it[/quote]

Cheers, i'll take it in then. dont want to end up ruining it by doing a bodge job

£25 seems pretty OK to me too, plus you'll be getting a level of aftercare should anything fail. Internal preamps are easy enough, but can be a bit fiddly especially if you've not soldered for ages, plus you'd need the right soldering iron if you don't have one already which would cost of course.