Why become a member? ×

Bloody hell....... what a monster

Beedster

We're encouraging our singer/guitarist to focus on his vocals and play less guitar, so we're pretty much a three piece now. The sound is lovely until the remaining guitarist takes a solo, when I usually play either a fuller tone or get a little more busy, but to my ears both seem a little (and ironically given what this thread is about) synthetic.

I've read a lot about this little box and courtesy of Jim_at, mine arrived this morning. Bloody hell, what a great piece of kit. It's only taken me about 20 minutes to get some great rhythm guitar parts out, and with judicious use of the gate and slightly more sensitive finger work than is usually associated with my playing, we have a rhythm guitarist again! OK, it's not going to work on all our tracks, but for the two where we were really missing Robbie's guitar, this little box is going to be perfect.

Can't believe they're no longer made (and that's slightly worrying as I imagine that the OCD side of my personality is gonna want another in case this one develops any issues). Rehearsing this afternoon, can't wait to fire it up in anger!

C

Agreed, awesome pedal. If you've got a separate guitar rig to run it out to, it's a whole world better than mixing the signal. I used to run one through a Big Muff out to a 4x12 rig. Fuzztastic. Oh, and it happily tracks down to a low B. With a hot, mids-heavy signal going in, I've had it tracking down to low, low A-flat. :)

The pitch shifted signal is a little cheesy if the tone is set too trebly but in the middle of a band mix its hard to tell. You can also send the shifted signal into a separate distortion unit but I've not had very good results doing that with a keely modded Boss DS-1.

Clever pedal but I didn't get on with the shifted sound, even run through another (really nice) amp with good drive pedals. In the end I opted for a Foxrox Octron and a few different fuzz and drive pedals. Very shameless plug but the Black Cat Bass Octave Fuzz I'm selling does a very similar thing for those more into an analog, less clinical sound. It doesn't have separate outputs but the blend control is very effective and you can get some really nice subtle drives out as well as full on snarl.

With these kinds of pedals I thought you had to choose between tracking and tone as to me the Micropog/OC-3/UB-1/PS-5 and other digital shifters track well but sound really fake IMO but the Octron and Black Cat proved me wrong as they do both.

[quote name='joegarcia' post='809376' date='Apr 17 2010, 01:14 PM']Clever pedal but I didn't get on with the shifted sound, even run through another (really nice) amp with good drive pedals. In the end I opted for a Foxrox Octron and a few different fuzz and drive pedals. Very shameless plug but the Black Cat Bass Octave Fuzz I'm selling does a very similar thing for those more into an analog, less clinical sound. It doesn't have separate outputs but the blend control is very effective and you can get some really nice subtle drives out as well as full on snarl.

With these kinds of pedals I thought you had to choose between tracking and tone as to me the Micropog/OC-3/UB-1/PS-5 and other digital shifters track well but sound really fake IMO but the Octron and Black Cat proved me wrong as they do both.[/quote]

Now that we're turned on to the idea, could you give me some more info as to the differences between yours and the Unibass Joe, might just be interested in yours to A-B the two and keep that one I prefer? Funnily enough, at the rehearsal the Unibass sounded much better through my bass amp than through a separate guitar setup. The latter exposed its weakness I think?

Cheers

Chris

[quote name='Beedster' post='809730' date='Apr 17 2010, 07:02 PM']Now that we're turned on to the idea, could you give me some more info as to the differences between yours and the Unibass Joe, might just be interested in yours to A-B the two and keep that one I prefer? Funnily enough, at the rehearsal the Unibass sounded much better through my bass amp than through a separate guitar setup. The latter exposed its weakness I think?

Cheers

Chris[/quote]

Haven't used it for a while, will fire it up this afternoon and have a play and get back to you.