Why become a member? ×

Which Valve amp?

AirTightEddie

[quote name='4 Strings' post='814966' date='Apr 22 2010, 02:47 PM']Try a Hiwatt first, Orange is great, but Hiwatt tick it for me.[/quote]

friend of mine is proud owner of vintage 100 w Hiwatt (DD104 i think). it´s a killer amp, especialy with big cab. We tested it on svt 8x10 and it was pure rock power. but there´s a big BUT for me...it´s "only" 100 w so it has not so much headroom for clean and deep sound. It can be agressive, loud, great distorted and cutting thru everything, but it can´t be soft and polite. maybe 200w versions with more headroom will be much better.
Orange is great amp with no dipsute, I think that most of the amps are great and it is only about preferences of the one player.

[quote name='p58' post='815595' date='Apr 22 2010, 11:01 PM']friend of mine is proud owner of vintage 100 w Hiwatt (DD104 i think). it´s a killer amp, especialy with big cab. We tested it on svt 8x10 and it was pure rock power. but there´s a big BUT for me...it´s "only" 100 w so it has not so much headroom for clean and deep sound. It can be agressive, loud, great distorted and cutting thru everything, but it can´t be soft and polite. maybe 200w versions with more headroom will be much better.
Orange is great amp with no dipsute, I think that most of the amps are great and it is only about preferences of the one player.[/quote]

check out the vba400 and some of the 400 watter hiwatt do they might be more down your street if your after huge low end.

[quote name='umph' post='816794' date='Apr 23 2010, 10:42 PM']check out the vba400 and some of the 400 watter hiwatt do they might be more down your street if your after huge low end.[/quote]

The vba 400 is a killer amp,
Im trying to sell mine if your interested.

If you ever get up the north of the mainland you are welcome to come and try mine (MATAMP GT200 and two 4x10s) oodles of fat bottom end and tube gain to die for

I play in a pub covers band (playing a stingray 5) and we do mainly pop stuff so has to run clean but when we do anything with a bit of grit to it it's just up one click on the drive and hey presto... a lot of basschatters have played through my gear and I have never had any comments to make me suspect they dont like the sound.

PS The matamp GT200 will run clean to 200W and up into the 300's driven hard, HIWATTs although sound gorgeous don't get anywhere near that.

[quote name='umph' post='816794' date='Apr 23 2010, 11:42 PM']check out the vba400 and some of the 400 watter hiwatt do they might be more down your street if your after huge low end.[/quote]

I do have SVT-VR with SVT 8x10 right now and I have never been more satisfied :)

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='alexharvay' post='827179' date='May 4 2010, 10:17 AM']With a few people recommending the Mesa Boogie 400+; does anyone know what the new price for one was?[/quote]

Insanely it was like £1899 but you can only get them second hand now and should be £700-£1000 depending on condition and age of tubes. (That 700 would be for one that needs a full revalve personally :))

[quote name='tayste_2000' post='827214' date='May 4 2010, 10:56 AM']Insanely it was like £1899 but you can only get them second hand now and should be £700-£1000 depending on condition and age of tubes. (That 700 would be for one that needs a full revalve personally :))[/quote]

Cool, I've just bitten the bullet and bought one. I paid a little over your estimate but it had just been serviced, full re-valve and new caps. I bought it from a reputable guitar shop so it has a 6 month warranty as well.

[quote name='alexharvay' post='827220' date='May 4 2010, 11:00 AM']Cool, I've just bitten the bullet and bought one. I paid a little over your estimate but it had just been serviced, full re-valve and new caps. I bought it from a reputable guitar shop so it has a 6 month warranty as well.[/quote]

Awesome because a full revalve is around £300 for them but should last a good 5-10 years depending on what went into it.

[quote name='tayste_2000' post='827232' date='May 4 2010, 11:13 AM']Awesome because a full revalve is around £300 for them but should last a good 5-10 years depending on what went into it.[/quote]

I had a feeling a re-valve was around that. It's what swayed me. I didn't want to take a punt on one on ebay then find out I needed to fork out on valves. Happy days, should arrive tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...

i tried the ampeg cl and vr heads. they`r both very good. but i found the vr distorts alot later than the cl as the vr doesn't have a control for the pre amp. its just got a master on each channel. i will say however it weighs almost 6 stone! i began to get back pains after about 5 days! brand new they`r stupidly expensive (i got the vr head second hand for just shy of £1100) but boy am i glad that i have it. im currently in the process of making a case for it as i now cant afford to buy a proper flight case!

[quote name='howieee' post='840328' date='May 17 2010, 11:50 PM']i tried the ampeg cl and vr heads. they`r both very good. but i found the vr distorts alot later than the cl as the vr doesn't have a control for the pre amp. its just got a master on each channel. i will say however it weighs almost 6 stone! i began to get back pains after about 5 days! brand new they`r stupidly expensive (i got the vr head second hand for just shy of £1100) but boy am i glad that i have it. im currently in the process of making a case for it as i now cant afford to buy a proper flight case![/quote]

I know exactly what you are talking about :) back pain is the dark side, but my god that amp sounds great

[quote name='p58' post='841886' date='May 19 2010, 12:00 PM']I know exactly what you are talking about :rolleyes: back pain is the dark side, but my god that amp sounds great[/quote]

:lol: its the best sounding amp iv personalty ever heard. its brought back pain, and a lack of money iv never known before. and you no what..? i just dont care `cus i love it :) haha its the best decision i ever made!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all your info, it was alot of help.
I scored myself a brand new Orange stack and I'm one happy plucker. It sounds awsome. I haven't got to grips with it yet, just had one band practice, with it all set flat and my Stingray set flat too is sounded amazing instantly, cranked up the gain and the dirt was sweet. Can't wait to gig with the beautiful beast.

[quote name='AirTightEddie' post='860377' date='Jun 7 2010, 09:26 PM']Thanks for all your info, it was alot of help.
I scored myself a brand new Orange stack and I'm one happy plucker. It sounds awsome. I haven't got to grips with it yet, just had one band practice, with it all set flat and my Stingray set flat too is sounded amazing instantly, cranked up the gain and the dirt was sweet. Can't wait to gig with the beautiful beast.[/quote]

Good choice :)