Why become a member? ×

£150 bass better than a Vintage bass?

bassmeg

I have 2 basses at the moment.

1) A 78' fender jazz fretted, as far as i know original except for wizard pickups i had installed. (still have the original ones though).
2) A vintage icon series (jaco copy) fretless

Can i ask for some opinions as to why the latter has a more powerful sound across the 4 strings. I am finding myself using this one all the time now. And unusually people are commenting that the jaco copy sounds better.
Guitarist in my band has suggested changing the resistors in the fender.
Should i drop in a j-east retro?

Any advice welcome.

Edited by bassmeg

[quote name='bassmeg' post='806964' date='Apr 15 2010, 11:26 AM']I have 2 basses at the moment.

1) A 78' fender jazz, as far as i know original except for wizard pickups i had installed. (still have the original ones though).
2) A vintage icon series (jaco copy) fretless

Can i ask for some opinions as to why the latter has a more powerful sound across the 4 strings. I am finding myself using this one all the time now. And unusually people are commenting that the jaco copy sounds better.
Guitarist in my band has suggested changing the resistors in the fender.
Should i drop in a j-east retro?

Any advice welcome.[/quote]

You say 'across all the strings' - Does that mean you are finding an uneven volume between strings? If the strings on the bass are relatively new (just to rule any dead ones) - and the strings are all equidistant from their nearest pole pieces - it would suggest something up with the harness. Because the way Jazz pups are wound would make it difficult for an individual 'pole' to be able to fail in volume. Maybe if the harness is wired incorrectly, then the pickups *could* be out of phase. You'd experience a lower volume, more hollow sound when both pickups are on together.

On the flipside - it may just be that the output of the wizard pickups is much lower and that can *sound* like they are thinner in tone. Something I experienced with Seymour Duncan actives Vs EMG actives. It wasn't until I dropped in an EMG gain booster that I experienced what I perceived as an improvement in tone.

I would makes sure everything 'under the bonnet' is correct before thinking about preamps etc - but being an 'actives' fan - I would expect an improvement if you did choose to drop a preamp in.

p.s. - I just thought I'd add, on the whole £150 vs £1000 debate - years and years ago I went shopping for a new bass and spent many many hours in the presence of thousands of pounds worth of basses including Alembic, Warwick, Musicman etc - and I didn't really have to worry too much about budget (wow - can't do that these days!!!) - and the best sounding and playing bass that day was less than half the price of all the 'TOTR' instruments. I bought it and always had compliments about it's great tone.

[quote name='dood' post='806981' date='Apr 15 2010, 11:40 AM']You say 'across all the strings' - Does that mean you are finding an uneven volume between strings?[/quote]

Yeah, the C & D strings just dont have the volume power of the Icon series. I was thinking, newer technology would improve the fender. I love playing the fender, ive had it for years, so how do i know if its a pile of poo? I want to believe that its electronics. Would changing the resistors increase output, or am i looking at this the wrong way round/

[quote name='bassmeg' post='806997' date='Apr 15 2010, 11:50 AM']Yeah, the C & D strings just dont have the volume power of the Icon series. I was thinking, newer technology would improve the fender. I love playing the fender, ive had it for years, so how do i know if its a pile of poo? I want to believe that its electronics. Would changing the resistors increase output, or am i looking at this the wrong way round/[/quote]

Well, trying different pickups/ different harness would certainly rule the existing ones out for sure! You *could* wire each pickup directly to the output to test with, if you are handy with a soldering iron so that you can hear them on their own. That would also rule out the harness.

As for the 'resistors' I think your guitarist friend is refering to the 'Variable Resistors' - ie - the volume and tone controls. There are no other (fixed) resistors in a standard jazz bass harness. They are usually of two values - either 250K Ohms or 500K Ohms. It has been said that 500K Ohms for volume pots will give you a 'better' tone. No boring with technical stuff.... Or even replacing them if they are old and gnarly - as the tracks in them maybe worn / contaminated.

My first port of call, which will cost you nothing will be to try bypassing the harness first to see if the problem goes away. If it doesn't - then see if you can at least borrow some jazz pickups to drop in and test.(With and without the harness) If that doesn't sort the problem, you can rule out buying a preamp - as it won't solve the problem - maybe just hide it! The 'proverbial sticking plaster'.

The bass has had this issue with both the original and new pups in it. so i would have thought that would suggest somthing else being the cause of lack of volume/output.

I relly would like a j-retro, as i like an active sound, but just the cost at the moment- could do with trying to sort this the cheapest way. I think i am looking for more output from the bass.

[quote name='bassmeg' post='807020' date='Apr 15 2010, 12:13 PM']The bass has had this issue with both the original and new pups in it. so i would have thought that would suggest somthing else being the cause of lack of volume/output.

I relly would like a j-retro, as i like an active sound, but just the cost at the moment- could do with trying to sort this the cheapest way. I think i am looking for more output from the bass.[/quote]

Was the harness changed for a new one at the same time as the pickups then?

[quote name='bassmeg' post='807038' date='Apr 15 2010, 12:25 PM']No it wasnt. As far as i know apart from the new pups, its original.[/quote]

Definitely rule that out first then ;o)

[quote name='Earbrass' post='807069' date='Apr 15 2010, 12:51 PM']That'd be long-scale, then. :)

<sorry, couldn't resist>[/quote]

Ha ha ha!! I hadn't spotted that! Very good!! - Oh the intricacies of the English language eh!