Why become a member? ×

not sure if this is the right section ....

muddymesser

hi i'm just starting out and cant afford to buy an amp just yet but i have the leads and adaptors ready for when i do but i was wondering if my bass would work ok if i plugged into my car radio as it has an aux in port on it and is connected to a 400w amp and sub ?

cheers
ben

Edited by muddymesser

[quote name='muddymesser' post='806720' date='Apr 14 2010, 06:39 PM']hi i'm just starting out and cant afford to buy an amp just yet but i have the leads and adaptors ready for when i do but i was wondering if my bass would work ok if i plugged into my car radio as it has an aux in port on it and is connected to a 400w amp and sub ?

cheers
ben[/quote]Aux inputs are line level; an active bass might work, a passive probably won't. And fitting the car on stage might be a deal breaker. :)

Some crazy people will tell you to sell the car and buy a nice rig.
Only kidding, although if you are desperate to hear yourself play, there's a few headphone amps on the Market, like vox amplug bass. Which will bring it to line level, which you can then plug into you car, although that sound wouldn't be amazing.
There is also a few low priced practice amps out there for a few bob.

[quote name='muddymesser' post='806742' date='Apr 15 2010, 12:12 AM']theres no chance i'll sell my car :)

its going to be a while before i end up on stage believe me

its mostly to make sure the bass works when plugged in :rolleyes:[/quote]

Should be enough to tell you it works. Don't turn all the knobs up when there is no sound then go looking for the problem. You can break music speakers pretty easily with bass.

A dinky practice amp is going to be as cheap as anything else if it comes to buying.

If a bass doesn't work when plugged in, it's rarely a huge issue to make it work.

Mate if you can affor £50 you will be able to buy a practice that will last you for years to come. Check the for sale section or ebay, maybe even with £25 you can buy something to practice with. You must have a big car I'm thinking that if i played in my car the headstock would be always knocking the ceiling. :)

Edited by davidmpires