Why become a member? ×

How best to use the Sansamp Bass Driver DI?

jim_at

Hey all,

I recently got a programmable 3 channel Sansamp bass DI, but I haven't really worked out the best way to use it.

Firstly I'm using it as a DI output, which is my main use.

But how do you guys set up your channels? Do you have one channel constantly on as your basic sound, and use the other channel as a dirtier sound? Or only switch it on for certain things?

I'm finding it hard to get a good tone out of it, it seems the signal is REALLY hot so the level has to be right down most of the time,

Just wondered how you guys use it and how best I can use it as part of my rig.

Also, do you set your EQ on the amp flat and just use the pedal as your EQ?

Usually I use a Hi-Watt valve amp into an Ampeg 4/10 cab, but at the moment I'm using an Ampeg SVT-3 pro into my Ampeg cab.

Thanks!

[quote name='jim_at' post='804894' date='Apr 13 2010, 02:11 PM']Hey all,

I recently got a programmable 3 channel Sansamp bass DI, but I haven't really worked out the best way to use it.

Firstly I'm using it as a DI output, which is my main use.

But how do you guys set up your channels? Do you have one channel constantly on as your basic sound, and use the other channel as a dirtier sound? Or only switch it on for certain things?

I'm finding it hard to get a good tone out of it, it seems the signal is REALLY hot so the level has to be right down most of the time,

Just wondered how you guys use it and how best I can use it as part of my rig.

Also, do you set your EQ on the amp flat and just use the pedal as your EQ?

Usually I use a Hi-Watt valve amp into an Ampeg 4/10 cab, but at the moment I'm using an Ampeg SVT-3 pro into my Ampeg cab.

Thanks![/quote]

Hi

I use the standard BDDI. Its very flexible as in I can use it for that modern dirty tone into my amp, into the PA, or both. I tend to EQ the amp how I want (although with the amps I only use it with the LM3 so far which is mainly set flat).

Its main advantage to me is having a pretty decent DI sound into the PA....and I can adjust it at my feet with a little extra dirt, bass, etc.

Putting the BDDI in front of a valve pre-amp (e.g. the Orange Terror Bass) does seem to make it run hot unless you drop the Gain very sharply. Putting it in front of a full-on all-valve combo (e.g. a vintage WEM Dominator) makes it very hard to get any useable tones out of it.

In my experience the BDDI definitely works best as either a DI box when running through the PA, or placed in front of a clean solid-state head (e.g. the Eden WTX-500).

When using it with the Eden I normally keep it in bypass mode until I need some grit, and then I have a bunch of pre-sets I can stomp in and out of.

This is not a pedal that rewards constantly re-jigging your rig. Like what I do. :)

You need a settled signal chain to get the best out of it.

[quote name='Low End Bee' post='804933' date='Apr 13 2010, 02:56 PM']I set mine up roughly to the presets in the book with a little tweaking.

1- Flip Top
2- Warm Tube
3- SVT

Seams to cover a lot of tonal ground. It's nearly always on SVT when I use it for recording and Warm Tube for DI at gigs.[/quote]

Do you mean Fat Tube (sample setting in the manual) - as I can't find a 'Warm Tube' setting. Would love to hear what it is.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='804943' date='Apr 13 2010, 03:07 PM']Putting the BDDI in front of a valve pre-amp (e.g. the Orange Terror Bass) does seem to make it run hot unless you drop the Gain very sharply. Putting it in front of a full-on all-valve combo (e.g. a vintage WEM Dominator) makes it very hard to get any useable tones out of it.

In my experience the BDDI definitely works best as either a DI box when running through the PA, or placed in front of a clean solid-state head (e.g. the Eden WTX-500).[/quote]

I think this is true. The all valve Hi-Watt sounds great without it I think, I just couldn't improve it with the Sansamp, but as I',m currently using a solid state SVT-3 Pro, I think I can find something nice on the sansamp.

Thanks!

[quote name='jim_at' post='804928' date='Apr 13 2010, 02:52 PM']Hey mate,

So do you have the pedal switched 'on' all the time then?

Where do you keep it in your pedal chain, after effects or before?

What setting do you usually run it on?[/quote]

Hi

Its on all the time....with the current bands. It does work best, as noted above, with solid states IMO.

I dont really have much of a pedal chain, just a few pedals I swap about. Ill more than likely try to get that sorted soon. I use a tuner, the BDDI or the Aguilar Tone Hammer...I might start having both at once to allow different types of dirt...(but not both at once).

I change the settings nearly every time I use it, mainly changing the level of output from the pedal and the amount of dirt.

[quote name='jim_at' post='804980' date='Apr 13 2010, 03:37 PM']Do you mean Fat Tube (sample setting in the manual) - as I can't find a 'Warm Tube' setting. Would love to hear what it is.[/quote]

Oh yeah Fat Tube. Lost in translation. Bad memory. Lots of drugs in the 80s. I think of it as "warm valve" myself. But it is indeed the Fat Tube setting I use.

And what the others say. Used it all the time with the Trace Elliot (with the 'shape' on) and not at all with the Orange.

Edited by Low End Bee