Why become a member? ×

Stratus - Billy Cobham

[quote name='stonecoldbass' post='810138' date='Apr 18 2010, 10:49 AM']I think there's a billy cobham playing along book with bass part, drum part and chords.[/quote]

If thats the 'Conundrum' play along book its awful, loads of obvious mistakes.

Stratus is the easiest song ever to figure out, barely any sections. I'd recommend just sticking to it. Most of it is just Bm pentatonic.

[quote name='Oscar South' post='810611' date='Apr 18 2010, 07:19 PM']If thats the 'Conundrum' play along book its awful, loads of obvious mistakes.

Stratus is the easiest song ever to figure out, barely any sections. I'd recommend just sticking to it. Most of it is just Bm pentatonic.[/quote]

I was going to make the same point myself. If you want to hear a good version of the bass line listen to Tal Wilkenfeld on Jeff Beck's cover of the song.

[quote name='leftybassman392' post='810933' date='Apr 18 2010, 11:55 PM']I was going to make the same point myself. If you want to hear a good version of the bass line listen to Tal Wilkenfeld on Jeff Beck's cover of the song.[/quote]

That version was pretty decent, I think though compared to Billy Cobham's bassists and Stanley Clarke's version it falls short a little. She does an exceptional job but those other guys are just out of this world.

[quote name='Oscar South' post='810611' date='Apr 18 2010, 07:19 PM']If thats the 'Conundrum' play along book its awful, loads of obvious mistakes.

Stratus is the easiest song ever to figure out, barely any sections. I'd recommend just sticking to it. Most of it is just Bm pentatonic.[/quote]

Isn't the 'Conundrum' book taken from versions played with the London Jazz Orchestra,so different than the
classic versions of the tracks? I haven't looked at the Bass book,but the Drum one one is alright.

The Jeff Beck version of 'Stratus' didn't do it for me. It has a long way to go to be as good as Cobham's
original...But then again I love the whole 'Spectrum' album.
My favourite take on it is on the Stanley Clarke and Friends album 'Live at the Greek' (with Cobham and
Larry Carlton).

Cheers guys... it was more the melody for the keyboardist that I was interested in getting... trying to be nice and give him a chart instead of saying 'follow this' for a change :rolleyes:

I'm liking Jeff Beck's version, but really the original one by Cobham is just perfect. Mind you, hearing Yolanda Charles and John Etheridge jam it out wasn't too shabby either :)

[quote name='tayste_2000' post='811533' date='Apr 19 2010, 04:42 PM']Cobham's version of Stratus was played by Leland Sklar wasn't it?[/quote]

It certainly Leland Sklar,and it was later sampled by the Massive Attack on the track 'Safe from Harm'.

Edited by Doddy