Why become a member? ×

Remove the Head!...from an Ashdown combo?...

theFALLEN

Hi guys,

Basically I am looking at removing the head from my Ashdown ABM500 EVO III 210 combo to use it with a different set of speaker combinations and I have some questions that I hope you can advise on.

Firstly, is it difficult to remove a head from a combo casing? (guess that might be quite a subjective question)

Secondly, is it difficult constructing a new amp housing? (i'm guessing that the head will be designed to go into a new "casing" rather than a rack)

Any advice you give would be massively appreciated!

Thanks dudes

EDIT: Wasn't sure which forum this was supposed to go into, please be gentle...

It is pretty easy to remove a head from a combo, most of the time there are four screws on the top, but there may be four screws at the front and back.

Regarding housing it in a new casing, find out what U size the amp is (probably 2U) and get a case like this for it to go in:

[url="http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=30611"]http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=30611[/url]

Well it probably is easy as pie to remove the head from it's combo casing.

Difficulties will arrise when you want to connect the head to a cab.

How is it connected to the speakers. I know that the Marshall MB series, the higher powered ones, are just the 450 head in a combo casing connected to to speaker via the jack sockets on the back of the head unit.

[quote name='theFALLEN' post='803254' date='Apr 12 2010, 12:16 AM']Hi guys,

Basically I am looking at removing the head from my Ashdown ABM500 EVO III 210 combo to use it with a different set of speaker combinations and I have some questions that I hope you can advise on.

Firstly, is it difficult to remove a head from a combo casing? (guess that might be quite a subjective question)

Secondly, is it difficult constructing a new amp housing? (i'm guessing that the head will be designed to go into a new "casing" rather than a rack)

Any advice you give would be massively appreciated!

Thanks dudes

EDIT: Wasn't sure which forum this was supposed to go into, please be gentle...[/quote]

As already said - 4 bolts through the top of the box - hidden under some plastic plugs.

The amp in the combo is identical to the serarate heads, and I'm pretty sure that Ashdown would sell you an ABM or MAG sleeve, if that's the way you want to go. I've had a couple of issues I've taken up with them and they've allways been 100% helpful...

Alan

Ashdown will sell you a sleeve for this, no probs. Been done before. You'll need one as they're not a sealed unit once out of the combo (no side or top plates). Not easy to racmount either, not without fabricating your own rack shelf.

I did this very thing, Ashdown sold me a sleeve for £75 I think, make sure you specify the dimensions, as there are a few different size sleeves available, also ask for 4 plugs to cover the screw holes up.

As has been said before, fitting is easy, just the 4 screws. The speaker outs are one speakon, one 1/4 inch jack (on my series1), so no real issues there.

For what its worth, Ashdown were really helpful and pleasant to deal with, and its not often you can say that about major companies these days.

I did this with a MAG300 head from the 1 x 15 combo and made my own sleeve from 18mm ply plus hardware etc. Easy if you have the inclination.

The only thing to watch for (which may not apply to the ABM) is that with the MAG heads the amp chassis from the 2 x 10 combo is a lot wider than the head from the 1 x 15 combo.